The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am starting my Jim Chambers FL and alrady I Have an issue. I can not get the breach plug turned in all the way. I know this because I can not get the index marks on the plug and barrel to align. The very tighest I can get them leaves the oposing index marks about an 8th of an inch apart. I do not want to force the metal and what I have read from Chuck Dixon is that the answer is to file down the breach end of the barrel so that these marks align. However, I am wondering if the index marks were put on the seperate pieces when aliged and as such indicate that the shoud be tightened down to that specification. Any words of wisdom will be apprciated. Maybe I need to call Chambers?

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
an 1/8 of an inch isn't much especially for a 5/8 x 18 thread, if they rotate in until they are all but 1/8 inch apart, It means that only about a 100th of an inch could be too much. If you file it at all, you end up with a problem keeping it square. I'd try using my thumb on some 600 grit emery cloth. Turn your thumb by hand keeping pressure of the barrel wall edges. On the rear of that edge, if the edge is slightly beveled in ward, it won't matter.

When threading or working on things, if the pice was dropped or raised a piece, it could easily account for that difference.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I also used Chuck Dixion's book when I built my rifle, and you want to re read the part about breaching your barrel.
If the face of the breech plug does not contact the rifleing of the barrel it will leave a gap and will hold fowling in that spot.
If the face of the breech plug contacts the base of the rifleing, but the tang does not contact the end barrel then you have another gap.
Three things have to be in alignment, the breechplug face to the end of the rifleing, the tang and barrel flat, and the end of the tang and the end of the barrel.
I used some soot from a candle on the breech plug face to see how much to take off and went from there. It doesn't take much, only a couple of thousands, so take your time and go slow.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mission accomplished. Thanks folks. I ended up taking a few strokes on the breach end of the barrel with a file and then from the face of the breach plug. I used the candle soot method to make sure that the breech plug face mates up well with the ends of the lands and grooves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts