The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NEF inline muzzleloader / 12 gauge rifled shotgun combo. The rifled shotgun barrel is too thin to tap for scope mounts. I bought a steel weaver style scope mount from Brownells and am planning on brazing it to the shotgun barrel. What is the best king of brazing alloy to use? What is the proper procedure to braze it on? I was planning on sanding off the bluing around the area to be brazed. Put a wooded dowel in the barrel to help prevent scaling inside the barrel. Apply paste flux to the areas to be joined. Either use a TIG torch or oxy acetylene torch with a rose bud tip to heat enough to flow the brazing alloy. I want to do this myself because the gun isn’t worth paying a gunsmith to do the job. I am good at brazing and TIG welding however I have never done any brazing on a gun so far.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought a 1/2 oz. of (Silver 56%, Copper 22%, zinc 17% and Tin 5%) 1/16 silver braze aloy with black flux to do this job. Waiting for it to arive in the mail.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it didn't turn out too bad for my first time brazing on gun metal.

I just need to do a little polishing and then apply some cold blue.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What are you going to refinish the brl with? Looks good!!

·
Super Moderator
4,747 Posts
Hopefully you did not change the proofing of the barrel.Heat will remove temper but if you weld you know that already.The work looks good though.Good luck with the gun.The brazing won't blue either.I assume you don't care about that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to mic the measurements before I test shoot it and check the specs again after the first shot and so on to make sure that it does not change afterwards. I am going to clean up any silver solder that flowed away from the mount with a dremel and polish it up then use some Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Paste or Super Blue. I might just strip the whole barrel down and reblue it all, not sure yet. It's a working man’s gun so I am not too worried about how pretty it looks just the functionality of the piece. I will try to post some pics after I finish the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts