The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK well I'm planning out my 2B food plot I was wondering which seed to try this year. Plot is about 3/4 acre behind my house. Only ATV access. Last year the deer hit the Brassicas pretty well. Would like to try oats IF they have a better drawing power....This is strictly a hunt plot not feed plot

Any votes either way be sure to give reasons why please ....Ill post pics from start to finish and later my deer kill....Hopefully

Thanks

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Idea I might just try it ....Oats are very cheap and Gander has a nice brassica blend marked down....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I would go for both as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK next question which crop needs more sun light ? The back half of the plot has a little more shade than the front....

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
biologics greenpatch is a blend of both witha little clover thrown in for additional variety. I just blend my own with local creal grain seed and bulk brassica seed from welter seed company.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was also considering a fall plot of oats but was considering switching to Brassicas since they don’t need planted as deep. From what I’ve read winter rye, oats, and winter wheat need to be planted 1 to 2 inches deep. I was wondering if this was possible with ATV type equipment since they tend to be on the light side?

If so, what equipment do you use and how do you plant them?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I planted BFO last year by just disking the ground, broadcasting the seed and then dragging a chain link fence over the area with a ATV. I did have a very good crop of oats geminate. Also I did use more seed than normal due to the broadcasting of the seed. However, after planting it and and being able to watch the preference by the deer, I will never plant oats again. Have planted brassicas for years and never had poor results. The brassica produce more tonnage of food, is cheaper to plant and easier. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
406 Posts
TheTruth said:
OK next question which crop needs more sun light ? The back half of the plot has a little more shade than the front....

Thanks guys
Good question... I'd like to know this too.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The brassicas will do well in the the shade, oats need a bit more sunlight.
Our clover and brassicas both did well in limited sunlight on one plot.
But the chicory and clover did way much better in limited sunlight.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
But the chicory and clover did way much better in limited sunlight.
Clover has shallow roots and when it gets a lot of hot, direct sun, it doesn't do well, especially on the soils you have up there on Card Creek.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ah, but you have had a year of regular rain up there. Mebbe next year will be different? In that case, deeper rooted plants, like chicory or alfalfa, will do much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts