The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, and ladies... I planted about 2-1/2 acres of brassicas on three plots almost 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I got torrential rain right after planting and the plots are coming in somewhat spotty and thin in areas. In reading the "All you ever wanted to know" post, there is mention of planting brassicas in standing corn and beans. Do you think it would do any good to reseed the plots without working the soil? The rains and sun have the plots pretty firm at this point.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Seems to mee you planted a bit early. Those high temps and damp soil could have been the problem. I think you could disk lightly or drag the ground and re-plant in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I say be patient. The seed is most likely still there it just has not had the moisture to germinate. If its still thin and spotty later this month I would lightly reseed it without working the soil. thats just me though, im no expert.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I agree with Shady. Wait 5 days after the next rain and look for germination.

If that doesn't work, you can broadcast the seed at twice the rate on the bag if the soil is as you said. Brassicas can work just about anywhere.

Last year, I got mine in very late on compacted soil, and it didn't rain for 6 weeks! I thought FAILURE!!!!!!!

Not so! Brassica didn't sprout till late September and the plot was very lush by the frost. Produced VERY well!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You are the second person to have this problem in the last month.

How many lbs per acre did you apply? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've had similar issues in the past after heavy rains. I think these types of rains wash the seed either away or into the same low spots. If you've had enough rain to get germination since I don't see anything wrong with the hitting the bare spots with some more seed.

I often fill in bare spots in brassica plots with winter rye around Labor Day. Give the deer a buffet to eat

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Is it also possible that rains like that, followed by high heat, "bake" a crust on the soil and prevent seeds from popping thru????

I've often thought that that could be a problem, depending on soil structure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your replies. I thought I seeded at the right rate. The bag was 6lbs and said 2 acres, but I assumed that was the drilled rate, so I broadcast at 6lbs/acre. I'm really glad to read that I should be able to "top seed" the bare and thin areas with sucess... I thought I was done without a complete redo.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I talked to Dutch about this same problem.It could actually use some drying out right now.The soil is still soft but damp.Germination is very spotty.I didn't know if my PH came down bad seed or what?After talking to Dutch I'm thinking bad seed?
Having said that it's the same seed Dutch uses with lots of success.I'm stumped.
What I'm going to do is throw in more seed and see what happens.If this batch doesn't grow around labor day I'll try a rye/oat and pea mix.
You could give it a try and see what happens.If more seed doesn't sprout try the rye mix around labor day.Make sure it's rye grain and not rye grass.
Maybe we'll both get lucky and more seed that's there will germinate.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I would say that brassica failures are pretty rare. All I have ever done is spread it on top of the soil and it takes.

The one plot I did for the PGC in 40 year old sod was done that way, in a drought. It took.

Brassica is one of the easiest to grow, but then, I always seed heavy. One guy I talked to mentioned birds in his plots after seeding, so, I don't know if that could be a factor or not.

I do know that after many years of doing this stuff, and knowing we never have the best conditions for doing it, seeding heavy, at least twice the recommended rate ot better, has not failed me.

Those seed rates they give you are for ideal conditions. I put a one acre bag of clover on abou 4/10ths of an acre last week, and 4 days later it seemed to be sprouting nicely.

My brassicas that I seeded heavy were doing the same.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
threeinchmag said:
I talked to Dutch about this same problem.It could actually use some drying out right now.The soil is still soft but damp.Germination is very spotty.I didn't know if my PH came down bad seed or what?After talking to Dutch I'm thinking bad seed?
Having said that it's the same seed Dutch uses with lots of success.I'm stumped.
What I'm going to do is throw in more seed and see what happens.If this batch doesn't grow around labor day I'll try a rye/oat and pea mix.
You could give it a try and see what happens.If more seed doesn't sprout try the rye mix around labor day.Make sure it's rye grain and not rye grass.
Maybe we'll both get lucky and more seed that's there will germinate.
I'm going to seed the plots again this coming weekend if the forcast is favorable. I used 300lbs/acre 19-19-19 in the first seeding, so I think I'm good there. If all goes well, I'll hit the plots later with 40-0-0.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
If you have a disc I would put Urea in and disc it before planting.Also like Dutch said add double the amount of seed.That just might be our problem.If I get up this weekend I'm going to throw more seed in and see what happens.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I misunderstood... I was under the impression that I could just reseed the plot without losing what's already germinated and growing. There won't be anything left if I hit it with the disc.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
My mistake you're right.Brassica's love urea but unless you disc it in or get rain afterward it disappears.If you already fertilized just throw the seed down.
My bare spots are big enough to disc but I won't bother either.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
CJ - You do not have to disk to reseed. If possible wait until a rain is in the nearterm forecast and broadcast the seed. I agree with Bake, a heavy rain can wash soil and seed into low spots and leave bare areas. When that happens I just re-broadcast into the bare areas. Now is a good time to plant. Indiana hunter has a longer growing season than us. threeinch - Urea is a top dress for brassica after the plant has become established and 4-6 weeks after planting. It gives it a surge of fertilizer to convert it from a 8 inch plant to a 2 foot plant.
I'm accustomed to seeding brassica blends at a 6 lbs to the acre rate. I'm confused about 6 lbs for 2 acres. Wasw that turnips only and no forage seeds in the mix. Turnip only tends to be seeded at a lower rate.
Dutch - If the seed bed is correctly prepared (not seeding into a burned down thatch) something close to recommended rate is what I do. Otherwise you end up with stunted plants.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The question becomes for many of us that may not have the ideal equipment, what is a correctly prepared seed bed?

All I have is an atv and a disc, with a sprayer. I sure don't have the ability to plow up the soil, disc it, and then maybe run a drill over it.

So, I'll add more seed to overcome my equipment weaknesses. Has worked well over the years, and the only time I have had stunted stuff is when I don't add enough urea.

You are correct tho, broadcasting urea about a month after germination gives the plants a "kick"!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
60 days before frost is minimum.

When ya gonna get frost out there? LOL

Early September would be much better. But, then, if it doesn't rain or you get an early frost, well, you won't have good results.

Mix rape and rye or winter wheat together maybe????

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Dutch said:
Mix rape and rye or winter wheat together maybe????
Thats the plan I just wasn't going to add it if it wouldn't be worth while. I may not get frost before mid Nov. at this (un-disclosed
)location. I also have some turnip seed that has been sitting around for a few years, not sure if I should through it in or not. I was at my local seed store today checking on his stock, he tried selling me some of the premixes he handles but the rye grass on the label nixed that. $3.25 a lb seems a little stiff for Lidino, I may check Imperial for that price.

I hope to plant Labor Day weekend if all goes well.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Never hurts to "play" a little with stuff. Throw some turnips and rape in. not going to break yer bank anytime soon.

What undisclosed location is this again? LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts