The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if they are safe to use, without scratching barrel.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
More concern about nicking the crown than the bore.Thats where your accuracy is.Use a coned barrel protecter.They are heavier than aluminum but softer.I don't like the wood incase of a split when seating.The wood looks the nicest.I use aluminum but have some brass.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have used a brass ram rod for about 15 years in my gun with no problems. It adds some weight though which after an all day hunt can be a real pain.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I broke my wooden rod at the range awhile back. I bought a brass rod for range work. As advised get a rod guide with it. I still use old hickory for hunting.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
I have a brass range rod. IMO..too heavy for field use.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is almost a pound difference between the old wood one and my new brass one. not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
just use it for a range rod. Unless you like the added weight. I just use the rod that came with my deerstalker, it bends a fair amount, but it is darn strong. My next flinter will have a wood rod and I will have to get a range rod for it. I will hopefully make the trip to Cabin Creek this week to get the ball rolling on my next flinter

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
the brass will do you just fine. it may even help balance your gun out. if the the weight(1 pound) is too heavy for you, look into a glass-reinforced polymer ramrod. it is flexible, light, and strong.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I have a T/C aluminum rod W/ a brass Jag and bore guide. My short starter is a 'T' handle that will screw into the rod if needed...

·
Registered
373 Posts
308Havoc said:
the brass will do you just fine. it may even help balance your gun out. if the the weight(1 pound) is too heavy for you, look into a glass-reinforced polymer ramrod. it is flexible, light, and strong.
I like the extra weight of a brass ramrod on my GPR.Sure it's a little heavier to carry...but it makes it easier to hold steady while shooting offhand. After snapping off a wood ramrod in the field...you'll wish you had a brass ramrod!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have the Polymer Rods in all my M`loaders. Would like to try a Brass Rod. It would be easier to push a tight load home with one. The wood ramrods are period correct but they can sure make a bloody mess if they snap off. If you do use a Wood Ramrod make sure you use short strokes while loading. I`ve seen guys grab them at the end and start tamping away. This is a great way to snap one. Usually when they do snap there is a sharp end waiting to stick in the palm of your hand....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts