The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody still making blackpowder shotguns like cva or traditions ? I heard knight was back in at it i was at cabelas and didnt see any of the double barrel guns my is looking for one of his own

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/

They have just about anything you can think of black-powder related. I hate getting their catalog, makes we want to buy a bunch of awesome stuff I can't afford.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
There are still double barrels made in Italy. But the price is pretty high.

Single shot percussion and flint smoothbores can be had for about the same price.

There is a club here in York county that has a few black powder trap/skeet matches a year. (The Tomahawks)

There are still old doubles out there that can be purchased and restored to shooters for less than the cost of new.

A few companies offer kits to make single barrel smoothbores. A good quality black powder shot gun barrel is often as expensive as a good rifle barrel. They are heavier at the breech and narrower at the muzzle than rifle barrels, which means more cost in machining on the outside.

An inexpensive alternative is a smooth bore barrel for a rifle, or just having a guy like Bobby Hoyt ream a barrel smooth for you. I recently purchased a CVA Bobcat for $60 and paid a gun smith $40 to ream the rusty barrel to smooth. I still have some work to do to it, but it is a smooth bore barrel suitable for small game with shot, or for deer with a patched round ball. It isn't a large gauge but will work. Nearly any 50 caliber barrel can be reamed smooth to 28 ga (55 cal) or 24 ga. (58 cal)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts