The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the the smallest shot size you would use for Black powder Shotgun for Spring Gobler? And what would be the distance limit?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
whats nice about a muzzleloader is you can mix it up to get the results you are looking for. try mixing 4,5,6&7 1/2 shot to get the pattern you need. or you can shoot straight 4,5 or whatever. diiferent wad combinations will also change things, as well as powder charge. you also can put alot of shot in, but shooting can be a little hard on the shoulder. hit hte range and have fun!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I have heard that you should go 1 size up when it comes to muzzy shotguns.I use 4's but never had a chance at one.
Go for uniform groups and a size that goes thru both sides of a real tin can at the range you would shoot them at.
Equal shot/powder and even slightly more shot than powder is best.
The squirrels were getting stung with #6's this fall when I tried them.Quickly went back to 4's.
Pheasants fall using #6's and bunnies get #7 1/2's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You need bigger shot to be lethal at distance. The heavier shot holds the energy you need to kill. I usually go no smaller than 5 in my regular or bp shotgun.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use #6 copper plated shot in my Knight TK 2000. I set the range limit at 40 yards. The TK2000 is far different than the average ML though. I use 2 oz. of shot and 110 gr of Pyrodex.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use #5s,as far as max range that really depends on the gun and the distance where it stills throws a " killing " pattern.The velocity isnt much if any different between BP and modern loads,especally when you figure in the short barrels on todays modern turkey guns

·
Registered
881 Posts
i shoot 100 gr 2F, 1 3/8 of 6's. load goes like this: powder, 2 fiber wads, then a Winchester AA wad with the cushion cut off, then the shot, then another fiber wad. I'm shooting a TC Black Mtn. Magnum with an Undertaker choke. I have to remove the choke to load the gun, but it's worth it for the pattern it throws. I would like to go heavier but I don't know how heavy of a shot charge I can safely shoot in this gun, and couldnt get a definite answer from TC on it. So i stick with 1 3/8. That load has been good for 5 spring gobblers so far.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info.
As soon as the weather breaks I'll be hiting the range. I'll be shooting a percussion 12ga Navy Arms Side by Side, no chokes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts