The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering if any of you have had luck trapping fox in a box (live) trap? I have caught just about everything else in one and have not had any luck getting fox in a leg trap so I thought I would try a box set. If any of you had luck doing this, can you give me some tips? Thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/2gunsfiring.gif

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm Pretty Sure, If you had problems with fox going into a Regular Trap, your gonna have one heck of a time getting 1 to go into a box trap!

Reactions: JJ4D

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I have never tried to box or live trap a fox. I think to so so to a wild Pwennsylvania red would be one of the ultimate trapping challenges.

However, that being said, there are thosee who claim it can be done and have done it. James White, one of Paul Dobbin's moderators on Trapperman, is an ADC expert. He claims it can be done and has talked about it on several occassions. If you are interested in trying, I suggest you contact him.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I tried once with a big cage, no luck, just kept getting cats and possums. Baited with egg and some meat, even tried hotdogs LOL. Suburban foxes totally used to people and going into tipped over garbage cans,etc, more likley to go in a cage than country foxes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
if your a farmer and they get into your chicken coops, then they might go in there thinkin its a cage.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I would think a larger size cage trap would help.
I have caught Grey Fox accidentally in coon size cage traps while using only Marshmellows for bait (while trying to avoid cat catches). Grey catches were surely a surprise.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Have only done it once by accident here. Caught in a coon size cage trap on PB&J bread. Never tried setting them to target reds but it would not be my trap of choice for them.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
just set a big duke boxtrap tonight for a red thats been terrorizing the neighborhood, beaver meat with a touch of castor for bait.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
little bugger got wacked on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts