The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my bow sling that I've used for years was the downfall of my 09 Bowtech Captain tonight. I had it on my back while gathering gear to get out of my ladder stand. The top cam slipped free and the bow swung on the part holding the bottom cam and the limb hit the ladder stand just right to splinter out the corner.

Can't find much on limb costs online, but what I could find was from bowtech customers who'd relimbed bows back in the 2010-2012 time frame. The limbs then were $250.

My local shop where I go for bows and to have work done is open at 11 tomorrow. Obviously hunting is out in the morning, although I have a borrowed crossbow for now. Not what I want to hunt with, but it's hunting.

Anyway, I'll find out more tomorrow, but this is a 7 yr old bow. I can't see putting more than $200 into it at most including labor...or am I missing something here?

I know new bows aren't cheap, but $200 into a 7yr old bow seems to be a reasonable limit....thoughts?

If it's too pricey to just relimb it, my thought is to replace it and watch online for limbs for a deal and then relimb it when I can find them at the right price and then have it as a spare.

And good grief does it stink looking at prices on new bows. The new Bowtech line does look pretty cool, though, I have to admit.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Bummer!!!

I agree...I certainly wouldn't get carried away on buying new limbs for it...7 years isn't a dinosaur...but the value of it isn't real high...if you've looked at the used bow market...it's about impossible to get more than a couple hundred bucks for a bow more than a couple years old..

Your idea of a backup bow is a good one..

One of my main reasons for buying a new (to me) bow this year was so I have a 2nd bow...a real short time throwing a sight on it and I'm back in the game..I have a spare sight just haven't put it on and dialed it in...

The price of new bows is tough to swallow... especially knowing in a few years they are practically worthless..I mean..they still work..but if you ever wanted to sell it..just tough knowing that...unlike a rifle..buy a used rifle for $400. In 20 years it may be worth $800 lol. Rarely do guns loose value aside from buying a new one..

I'd be curious to know what you find out...just because I have a bowtech and love it..

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm back from the shop.

Shop owner is a good guy...been going there since I was a kid, and they have always treated me well.

He said he'd have to talk to Bowtech to see if they can get the limbs, but to expect a minimum of $150 and more like $200. 2 weeks, give or take, to receive them, and he'd install them same-day they arrived.

I started shooting bows.

I fully expected to want a Bowtech BTX. First bow I shot. Loved it.

Shot a Matthews Halon 7. Hated it.

Shot a Hoyt Defiant. Uh oh. That was pretty nice.

Shot an Elite (forget which one). Also pretty nice.

Ok, let's do round 2....hauled them all outside again, one by one.

Bowtech-- shocky in the hand, louder than I'd hoped, holy FAST, Batman

Mathews-- quieter, moreso than I expected. Grip feels weird. I've never liked Mathews' grips. Just wasn't "right" to me.

Elite-- felt good, clunky draw cycle, fast, moderately quiet.

Hoyt-- smoooooooooooth draw cycle, by far the smoothest of the bunch. Didn't seem QUITE as fast as the Bowtech, but wasn't far off it. Not as loud, and near to dead in the hand.

I'm going hunting tonight with a Hoyt.

Shop moved my Ripcord dropway, HHA sight, and put on a loop, peep, and button for me. Tweaked most of that right there, and was shooting into arrow holes in the target at 20 steps at the shop.

Brought it home, regulated my slider sight to 50 yards, then stepped to 30 and had some crappy form. Took a small rest, since I was shooting a lot today, lol. Stepped to 30, settled in, good form, center-punched the 10-ring on my 3D deer target.

It does look from some quick bareshaft shooting like I'll likely have to move from my FMJ 340's to 300's. Bareshafts show a weak spine reaction, and I have the bow down to 62(60-70# bow).

I do think I'm gonna cruise the classifieds at AT and other places watching for limbs for my Bowtech. It's a great bow, and having two isn't such a dumb idea, as I've recently learned, lol.

Now to see if I can kill something....

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Well...sounds like it all worked out!

What model defiant did you get??

I agree...I can't get over the Mathew's grip...it was even worse before..

I haven't shot any of the latest models..but I'm like you...Hoyts and bowtechs just feel right for me..

I like a bigger bow...but like to shoot a heavier arrow...got lucky finding my Insanity CPXL..for me it's a happy blend between speed and stability...and it's quiet...500 or so grain finished arrow @ 270 something...not shabby for dinosaur arms lol.

Always looking for my next one....to buy a year or 2 old of course lol...

Good luck with the new bow!!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
As I was reading the post about you shooting bows while at the shop, I knew it was going to end with you coming home with one. Congrats!

Side note though, are you the original owner of the Bowtech? Their customer service and warranty are good. As long as everything fits (and you don't say what actually happened) they'll either replace the limbs, or replace the bow with one of an equal value if they no longer make the limbs. Had a friend a few years back that had a limb issue with his Bowtech (forget the model). Dealer sent it back to Bowtech and they sent him a new Bowtech RPM360 free of charge. That was the first year that was their flagship bow.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was my fault. Bow banged on my ladder stand when it slipped from my bow sling. It wouldn't be a warranty issue, unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mauser06 said:
Well...sounds like it all worked out!

What model defiant did you get??

I agree...I can't get over the Mathew's grip...it was even worse before..

I haven't shot any of the latest models..but I'm like you...Hoyts and bowtechs just feel right for me..

I like a bigger bow...but like to shoot a heavier arrow...got lucky finding my Insanity CPXL..for me it's a happy blend between speed and stability...and it's quiet...500 or so grain finished arrow @ 270 something...not shabby for dinosaur arms lol.

Always looking for my next one....to buy a year or 2 old of course lol...

Good luck with the new bow!!!
Thanks!

I got the Defiant 30. NOT the Carbon Defiant. I just couldn't do that. That's a LOT of money for about 6-7 ounces in saved weight. I'm sure it's more dead in the hand, but I didn't even try one. I wasn't going to pay that much.

I added an 8" B-Stinger on it, too, to replace my old Limbsaver dampener. Kept my old Ripcord and my HHA 5519. Both are in great shape and going strong. I might look at releases after the season, but for now, I'm all set.

I also will probably need to bump my shafts to 300's from the 340's I'm shooting now. It's FAST compared to my Bowtech Captain. Wow. All of them were, really. The Bowtech and Mathews seemed the fastest of the bunch.

What I really disliked with the BTX from Bowtech was not only the hand shock, but it REALLY wanted to run away on you at full draw unless there was a fair amount of pressure kept into the back wall.

Just on speed and quiet, the Mathews Halon won, but it felt like a 2x4 in my hand. And the really vertical grip angle doesn't help. The bow in question was maybe 3/4" too short for me, but still.....it wasn't what I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I will have to shoot one!

That snappy jumpy feeling is horrible..don't know how anyone shoots bows like that..

The defiant 30 in interesting to me..30" bow but still has a 7" brace..I might like it a little better than the short bows I've shot...

I'm keeping the Insanity CPXL a while..for me, it has all the qualities I like..

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The neat thing with the Defiant is that the cams make it have a string angle similar to a bow with a 34" ATA. Feels very similar to my Captain in that regard.

If you shoot one, I'm curious what you think of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shot a bit tonight, even in the wind. The wind really pushed even my FMJ's around, but the bow is a great shooter.

Two monkey tails I slapped on the string really took some vibration off the shot, too. Quieted it down to just a hair more noise than my Captain, and a LOT more speed.

Plus, the short ATA is nice in the treestand, but the cams allow the shorter bow to feel like a longer ATA.

So far, very very pleased.....

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Barnsdale Archery may make limbs that fit that bow. Many use their limbs because Bowtech doesn't keep parts in stock for older bows. They are around $175 I believe.

Congrats on the new bow. I shot a Defiant and found it kind of rough, but that is why having choices are nice, we all like different things with bows.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is interesting how each of us perceives bows differently, for sure.

Reviews online for the Defiant are consistently unfavorable. Nothing about performance, all about feel. But bows are about feel....and it's important to get the one that fits the shooter.

I really wanted to like the Bowtech BT-X. I really did. But the handshock was substantial with it, to my hand at least.

Then I wanted to like the Mathews. I didn't want to like the Hoyt for some reason...but that's how it shook out, lol.

The Mathews was quiet and FAST. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I shot it a lot....actually probably put more shots through the Mathews than any of the others. I gave up early on the Bowtech.

The Elite was nice. It was fast and quiet, but the draw cycle to me felt pretty abrupt and harsh.

The Bowtech and the Elite to an extent both were twitchy and want to run away on you if you ease up even a little at full draw.

The Mathews and the Hoyt seemed more stable back there.

Honestly, I wish Mathews would look at the grips on some other bows. The grips over the years on Mathews bows have never agreed with me, and when they slimmed them down, I was optimistic. The issue I had with the Halon was it was so bolt upright/blocky/square that it just felt like a fight to get my bow hand settled in on the bow. It just felt unnatural, like I was fighting with the bow. If the Mathews had a grip like the Hoyt, it could easily have changed the outcome.

Probably my biggest take away, though, was that there were clear differences in the bows, but that's good....there was a bow for everyone in that lineup. We wouldn't all make the same choice, but of those 4, I didn't think any of them were a dog at all.

I didn't shoot any of the Bear or PSE bows at the shop. I have never liked Bear's stuff very much, and PSE's bows just look and feel odd to me. Also probably great bows, but I just can't learn to like 'em.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to look up Barnsdale. Maybe if I can get limbs in late winter and have the shop put them on, I can re-rig that bow in the spring and have a spare ready to go next year. Thanks for that tip!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So.......archery shop told me "I'll have good news for you in about a week on your Captain."

I didn't wait for the response from Bowtech because, frankly, the damage is and was my own fault, not theirs. I never made a warranty claim at all. The shop called to get me limb pricing, and with a 2 week wait, or more, and a couple hundred bucks involved, I decided to put the money to the Hoyt, get it up and running, and worry about the Bowtech later after the season ends...try to score limbs for less money online somewhere if possible...I don't know. I hadn't planned all that out yet.

If they get my Captain up and running again without flat out buying limbs, I'll be a happy camper.

My wife, on the other hand, will likely smother me in my sleep....

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up my Bowtech tonight. Bowtech replaced the limbs under warranty. I don't know if it was just a chance to clear out old stock or what, but I have a new set of replacement limbs (black, not the original camo, but I don't care! lol) on my bow for not a cent out of pocket. Really, really never thought they'd do that. The whole issue was completely my fault, no question about it, but they hooked me up, along with Weaknecht Archery, who handled the whole thing for me. Can't thank them enough.

So, my Captain is home. Now I have to start thinking sights and rests for it. I more than likely won't start to rig it up till after winter. I don't see me messing with it during bow season, and then we're into rifle and flintlock seasons, so I don't see me having nor taking the time to rig and tune a "new" bow in the middle of all that.

The Hoyt is shooting well, so I'll finish out the season for sure on the Defiant, then think about the Captain in late winter/early spring.

I have a Ripcord and HHA5519 on my Defiant that were originally on the Captain. I'm sort of leaning toward putting them back on the Captain and buying new stuff for the Defiant. We'll see. I love my HHA sights, although the EZ-V has intrigued me.

I like the Ripcord, but I'm going to take a hard look at what's out there for rests and see what leaps out at me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts