The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back a few years in this thread looking for ideas on a new backpack for this archery season. Been carrying a Walmart special for the last few years and I want to upgrade.
Any suggestions?
I like the way the Tenzing TZ4000 and the Eberlestock X2 look.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I've been using an unlined fleece pack from Day One Camo for about ten years. The design is very simple but well thought out. I liked my first one so much, I bought a second one a few years ago. Nothing is quieter in cold weather!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I've had an X2 for about 5yrs now and its been a good pack. My only gripe is that even brand new it wasn't waterproof like advertised. The company won't stand behind that claim either.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ive been using a small fieldline fanny pack and a red head deer trail day pack for years. Both were cheap and have held up pretty well. My only gripe is there isnt enough pockets to keep things separated. Recently i was looking on ebay and they had a tenzing tc 720 fanny pack listed for 34.99 and free shipping. Tenzing ranks right up there with badlands imo. They nornally retail for around 100 bucks so for 35 i decided it was worth it to try it out. Man was i pleased when i got this thing. 9 pockets, 720 cu inches, cinch straps for securing extra gear, and very well built. Best 35 bucks ive spent in a long time. Cant wait to use it. They still have some for sale if you guys want to check it out. Sellers name is camofire.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Buck Whisperer said:
Ive been using a small fieldline fanny pack and a red head deer trail day pack for years. Both were cheap and have held up pretty well. My only gripe is there isnt enough pockets to keep things separated. Recently i was looking on ebay and they had a tenzing tc 720 fanny pack listed for 34.99 and free shipping. Tenzing ranks right up there with badlands imo. They nornally retail for around 100 bucks so for 35 i decided it was worth it to try it out. Man was i pleased when i got this thing. 9 pockets, 720 cu inches, cinch straps for securing extra gear, and very well built. Best 35 bucks ive spent in a long time. Cant wait to use it. They still have some for sale if you guys want to check it out. Sellers name is camofire.
Purchased. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Super Moderator
12,494 Posts
Don't have any recommendations for a particular product. However, I like one that is light weight, sturdy and has plenty of secure zip up pockets, so I can separate my gear to be stored and put back in the same pockets each time, allowing me to be able find and put away everything in total darkness.

I have a very good one now; however, it is much heavier than I would like. It is also waterfowl camo; however, the deer have yet to notice.

Before that I purchased a cheap after school/on sale back in dark grey; it worked very well, but the zippers soon failed.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have been using the same American made pack I bought in the early 80's. I got it from my dad's archery shop at the time and I can't find a name on it. I am also thinking about getting a new one. A couple I have been looking at is the Badlands SuperDay and Diablo.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Packs I have used are geared to Western hunting carrying weight all day..

Owned Badlands Diablo for maybe 2 weeks..
Sold it.. Shoulder straps were bad when carrying it loaded.

Owned Eberlestock X1 & X2..

Sold X2, did not like shoulder straps when carrying loads.

X1 was my day pack for Colorado last 3 years..
IMO good pack, no problems with it..

Then I bought a Kuiu...
Once I bought it, I sold my X1 no comparison..

20 lbs in X1 pack, feels the same as 35 lbs in Kuiu pack.
Night and day difference..

Just my experiences using packs for Western hunting..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Another vote for the Tenzing TC720. I use it all season and it holds everything you need.

Tie downs top and bottom for carrying in your layers. A rangefinder pcoket, water bottle holder and interior organizers make it perfect for Arhcery and Rifle hunting.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up getting a Badlands
Superday pack. Used it a couple of times now and I like it.
Well made and holds a lot of stuff. Especially like the side pockets that I can separate my Rangefinder,
Turkey calls,extra release and Clif bars.
Perfect size for Pa. Deer hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts