The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to try my hand at bowfishing this year. Wanted to ask a few questions. Like what #age should I be shooting. and is there a specfic arrow, line or tip i should shoot? When is a good time spring or summer? Going to be bowfishing a lake.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
you dont need much poundage, 40 pds is plenty, yes you need specific equipment for bowhunting, can be very dangerous if you dont use good equipment. I would recommend going on ams bowfishing website and checking out there stuff. You need a bowfishing kit and special arrows. AMS is bar far the best stuff out there!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
spring to late spring is usual the best, I find the carp spawning up creeks in late spring usually and you can probably start alot earlier in a lake or pond.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fish in the daytime because I don't have a generator. However the night time is the right time. Things usually heat up mid May and through June. I fish from a boat and cruise the shorline in bays and around structure. AMS Fishing Reel on any bow you want! I like the Sting-A-Ree tip on my arrow. It is easy to get the fish off the arrow.

On a seperate note: Does anyone know if there is a specific temperature that triggers the spawn? Or is it something other than water temps?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I hunt only out of my boat. I have a fancy boat that I had my welder make a light bar around the entire front. I have 6 150 hps (high pressure sodium) lights mounted to the light bar. I have a 5000 watt generator I supply power to my lights. I only hunt at night and we always do very well. I usually fill a 55 gallon drum up with fish. Like a post above me I shoot a ams retriever on all my bows. I also shoot the new ams arrows. Easier to remove the dead fish off of then the muzzy. You honestly can take any bow and make it into bowfishing rig. It all depends how much you want to pull your poundage back each outing. I have my Bowtech at 67lbs but yet I shoot my bowfishing rig at 40lbs. Your arms will get tired regardless. I have ran the omp laser sights on my bowfishing rigs but I prefer to shoot without. Instinctive is the way to roll in my book. We smash catfish , Carp, suckers. and admire looking at a pile of species that the waters in PA hold. Lights are the way to go if you really want to enjoy the sport. Try BowFishingCountry.com if you really want to get into all the latest setups bows/lighting/etc. It helped me a ton. If you have any questions pm me. I usually shoot the Susquehanna multiple nights a week throughout the season..!!! Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brushwolf, where are you located? I live in Central Pa. in Centre Co. and if you are near me, I would be more than willing to meet up with you and take you on my boat for an evening after you get setup. I shoot over 150HPS lights with a honda EU2000 generator (nice and quiet). I have an old hunting bow that I converted and have been shooting it for 5-6 years now. I shoot an AMS retriever reel and use arrows with the safety slide system and prefer shureshot penetrator tips. I am putting on a tournament at the Bald Eagle State Park this year May 4-5. If you have any questions, I would be more than willing to help answer them...(if I can).

Mr. Lucky...Your PM box is full...I think we met at Sayers. You seem to be setup a little more now.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I do all of my shooting with 30#-40# recurve bows equipped with an AMS retriever reel and solid fiberglass bowfishing arrows. I like to spot and stalk in waders in small swampy lakes and streams. The recurve keeps it light, simple, and takes me back to the early days of archery when I did all of my archery hunting with a Bear recurve bow. Carp are starting to move into shallower water where I hunt and should start to spawn in most waters within the next two to three weeks as others have said. Be sure to have a fishing license.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I like to shoot the spawn but shooting them when they are feeding on the surface is always fun too. It adds an element of hunting to the bowfishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts