The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the PA F&BC Website and in the booklet, it says that you can bowfish for carp, suckers and catfish in PA. It also says you're not allowed to bowfish in special regulation waters or approved trout waters during closed seasons.

Im confused as to what exactly is the "Closed Season." I know you can fish year round from 1st day of trout season till the last day in February, so is the "closed season" basically the month of March? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
You're not allowed in special reg areas at all(it's not approved gear ie. flyfishing only = flyrods no spinning rods)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know Im not allowed in fly projects, DHALO areas and places like that, I was just wondering what the rules were for regular "trout approved waters" since most waters around my area are "Approved Trout Waters."

Here's another question.

I live near the Sesquahanna River. Its not stocked with trout up around my area but they stock it about 60 miles away. With that being said, is it still "Approved Trout water" in my area or just where they stock it? Im 25 years old and the River around here has never been stocked before, but theres trout in it that comes from other stocked streams that flow into it. If its approved trout water in 1 part of the state, is the whole river approved?

·
Registered
444 Posts
the susqy probably wont count since you cant really put up a dam. you should be good there. as far as your main question, don't shoot any trout water when trout fisherman cant fish. from march 1st to opening day is about your down time in approved water. but take it from an avid bowfisherman and avoid trout water due to mad anglers. wait till about late may to hit trout water when most trout guys are done.

also good tip we found, bigger water is harder sometimes but more rewarding and more area to cover without retracing steps. would also like to shoot with ya maybe

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Im considerate of trout fisherman now. Im a trout fisherman myself and wasnt planning on bowfishing till May. Gives ya something to do after chasing turkey around in the mornings. I also have a friend who is interested in learning how to shoot a bow and I figure instead of having her stand in the yard or in a bowshop shooting at 3-D targets or hay bales, I would take her to the creek and let her fling arrows at carp. Keeps things interesting and fun because you can only pound foam and hay for so long before you get bored out of your mind.

Where you from? I wouldnt mind bowfishin with other people. I got my start in it at Ocean City, MD when I went down for Stingrays. Had a blast, came home and purchased my own gear. I only bowfished for carp one time back in February. More skilled on Saltwater than fresh, but thats about to change here pretty soon. haha

·
Registered
444 Posts
i'm from Ephrata, pa.

best ways to practice I found is to stand on boat in yard or bed of truck and shoot at empty jugs of all sizes. might I recommend shooting all fingers and always practice with real bowfishin arrows. you need to shoot from higher plain and have the heavy arrow weight to simulate. we go at night with lights and it's fun but some nights we miss and some we hit. also may wanna plan on buyin about 3 spare arrows due to breaks, rocks, and if you hit underwater lumber sometimes you lose your tips.

we should go to pm from here. LOL

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
Another bowfishing question.

Is it legal to bowfish under boat mounted lights or not? Saw somewhere today that it is not legal to bowfish under lights in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
I pulled the below from another site. Any truth to this?

<span style="font-style: italic">The coast guard creates inland water laws in all 50 states and all 50 states are the same. Each state has a coast guard representative who helps to enforce the coast guard inland water regulations. There are quite a few factors in this that make them illegal to use. Even though the bow guys went and spoke at the commission the coast guard has deemed them a violation and I am sure you will be seeing more enforcement in the future. The reason being, you are in fact allowed to use other lights on a boat but at any time if the required navigation lights can not be seen for any reason that is a violation. The bow lights are so bright all you see is a giant glow. The side lights need to be visible for a mile and the stern or all around light needs to be seen for 2 miles. If at any point those interfere with the navigation lights that is a violation.

Now the above is a federal regulation which over rides a state regulation. In PA the docking light law is a state reg that is more strict than the federal regulations but it clearly states you can not use flood lights or spotlight type lights unless docking. It was clarified docking is having your boat pointed towards the object that you plan to dock on whether it be a dock,mooring buoy or shoreline as your boat will be pointed towards that object. If you are riding next to the shore you are not point towards the object of docking origin. Also it states they are not allowed to be used while underway. Underway is not at anchor and moving whether under power or drifting. Once you are not anchored and using the lights that is a violation.</span>

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
All the PFBC said to us was that our bow light couldn't be blocked by them and that you can't have colored lights on the boat, only white. Jeremiah would be the best person to ask this to. I will tonight.

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
Bow light unobstructed and no wake speeds is the law.
So as long as all of the navigation lights are unblocked and easily seen, all is good to go?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
That is what the head of the PFBC has stated. If you travel at above wake speed then it is considered travelling with your docking lights on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Okay i have some questions here too,
1- So as long as the water doesnt have a closed trout season its okay to bowfish such as lake marburg in hanover?
2-What do you do with the carp once you get them i love the idea of breaking out a recurve an spending the day hunting for carp but i dont really like the idea of wasting a fish and i wont eat a carp.
3-Where did you bowfish for stringrays in OC MD and was it with a guide if so please link them we are going down in Aug. and that would be something i would want to do.

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
miller17015 said:
3-Where did you bowfish for stringrays in OC MD and was it with a guide if so please link them we are going down in Aug. and that would be something i would want to do.
I went with Capt Marc Spagnola at Dusk to Dawn Bowfishing. In the summer, all he does is bow fishing stingray trips. That is his sole focus. Not fishing then bow fishing on the side. If the weather cooperates, you can get tons of shooting and a chance at a sea monster. I shot a southern stingray that was a hair under #100.

Top notch and all gear provided. He books up though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts