The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting with a 15 year old PSE marauder and feel like upgrading. I would like to keep the price around 500 bucks. I browsed bow tech, Hoyt, and Mathews websites and the only thing I found close in my price range was the bow tech carbon icon. Anyways I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions that I may have overlooked. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I would look for a used Elite E35 you could get one for around that price and they have a transferable warranty. If you wanted to go new, look at mission or bear bows

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used my first bow - a 1979 Bear Alaskan - for 18 years. When it was time to buy I was hunting with guys who always bought a new bow every year as they had to have the latest and greatest. Many of them didn't practice much and only hunted a weekend or two so I started buying their "used" bows at a huge discount. Many had 50 arrows or less shot from them. Saved me money and I never had a bow after that that was more than a couple of years old. Alas they all dropped out of bow hunting some time ago and my supply was gone.

So if you aren't opposed to buying used and you know someone like my friends that is an option for a top line bow well under your price range.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used my first bow - a 1979 Bear Alaskan - for 18 years. When it was time to buy I was hunting with guys who always bought a new bow every year as they had to have the latest and greatest. Many of them didn't practice much and only hunted a weekend or two so I started buying their "used" bows at a huge discount. Many had 50 arrows or less shot from them. Saved me money and I never had a bow after that that was more than a couple of years old. Alas they all dropped out of bow hunting some time ago and my supply was gone.

So if you aren't opposed to buying used and you know someone like my friends that is an option for a top line bow well under your price range.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That Carbon Icon will do everything you want it to. I agree with attackone and heit. I have an Energy 35 and I love it. I am going to keep it for a while. It doesn't matter what bow you buy, the advancements in these bows in the last 10 years has been amazing

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Try looking into Concept Archery, there made in the good ol' USA.. and there 99% Letoff ... Check them out, I got one last fall and haven't looked back. Good luck in what ever you decide..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a little shopping today and checked out a Hoyt ignite for $400 all decked out and it felt great at 70 pounds when I test shot it. I guess when you are used to a 15 yr old one with not much let off it felt like pulling 35 pounds.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Having a $500 budget and the urge to upgrade to a new bow is like settling for a kia when you wanted a corvette.

No sense in even looking at floor models if that truly is all you're gonna spend. Take a look at the top bows from 5 years ago from the major manufacturers and you might be able to find something within that budget.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I just bought an Elite Victory 37 and I will say it is one of the smoothest drawing bows I have ever owned. I also have an Elite Energy 35 which is a great all around bow and they can be bought used for under 500. I maybe selling mine here shorty, but hate to part with it because it is a tack driver.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Elite Synergy for a $450 (used). Nice thing about Elites (and I think also Athens & Obsession) is the warranty transfers. Most bow warranties only cover the original owner.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
If your a member of Archery Talk get on there and check out what they have to offer. I bought a brand new Bear Carnage off of a Bear prostaffer for $500 delivered TMD and got the warranty ! They also have lots of used bows for good prices ! Figure out what you really want and then get on there and look for it !

·
Registered
612 Posts
Always wanted a Mathews and bought one to replace my PSE G force about 3yrs ago and absolutely love it. I got a creed but shot a few before choosing it. The shop I went to let me shoot the 3 I was looking at, Prime,Mathews and Hoyt. In my hands the creed felt the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts