The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you guys have killed a deer with a bow from the ground. Not talking about a ground blind sit, but a genuine spot and stalk or sit beside a tree, etc.
I have never killed a deer with my bow from the ground, but this season I am going to try it.
Just curious as to how many are successful with this method in PA.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Came really close last week on a doe. I did one sit last year and liked it. Last week I was scouting with my saddle setup and caught her corner of my eye. Setup and got her within 5 yards. Unfortunately she did a good job keeping brush between us and caught my outline. If I didn't invest in a saddle setup this year I'd 100% primarily be focusing on this.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My 11 y.o. daughter shot a 7 point last year as we setup on the ground over a food plot. There was a nice ladder stand on other side of plot but the wind was wrong for that stand so we setup on other side of plot with wind in our face.
This past Saturday she missed two doe from ground as I told her wrong pin to use. Obviously there was some serious rust i needed to shake off that first sit of season. Hope not to make that mistake this weekend.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
2 does. Both pretty wild and memorable experiences. Multi hour stalks to close the final 50 yards.

It's definitely a fun way to hunt and a good changeup a few times a year. I like doing it on windy days, the noise cover certainly helps. It's not nearly as productive as a good ambush from a tree though, at least my experience.

Hope to kill a buck one day from the ground. I've had close encounters but never connected.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
My 1st buck and bow kill was from the ground and had very unique circumstances. 21 years ago today I lost my grandfather; 17 years ago I killed that buck (basket 6 pt) from the ground at 11 am on a 70+ degree day. I had setup that morning and hunted from my treestand and saw 2 good bucks. Around 10 am I walked back to my truck and dropped off most of my gear and decided to do a little scouting. I had actually walked about 50 yards from my truck and realize I didn't have my bow so I walked back and got it, but figured I'd never get a shot at a deer while I was "scouting". I snuck thru the woods looking for sign and what not (I was only 18 at the time and only my 3rd year bow hunting so I was a newbie). I made my way about 1/4 mile thru the woods and came to the driveway of the property I was hunting so I circled back to head to my truck. I walk a few hundred yards and am checking out a fresh rub when I hear the leaves crunching. There's a deer behind me and he half circles me at a brisk walk. I mouth grunt and he stops just shy of the old logging road I'm walking. I decide to let an arrow fly and luckily for me it hit him in the jugular and he dropped on the spot. Pretty sure my pap was giving me a hand from up above on that hunt.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, you all are quite successful. I am going to try it this season, with the right setup presents itself.
Any details as to how you guys set up?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Sometimes its just dumb luck walking to my spot and a deer just wanders into your lap. Call me weird, but it has worked for me, if i am sitting and see deer taking a different route than what i was expecting, i actually take my boots off, and make sure there is a tree between me and the deer and walk slowly until i get in range keeping the tree in between so the deer see no movement, Much quieter walking in stocking feet than boots. I have killed 5 that way. I killed a buck one year in the middle of a field. The weeds were pretty high, i crawled on my belly very slowly and felt like an eternity when i got in range i waited for him to put his head down to feed slowly got up on one knee and drilled him. That one took a lot o patience

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A buck walking into my stand late one morning which was preoccupied with watching a doe near by and a doe last year after stopping to soak in the sun after a little walking it wandered to me. Pretty much right place right time. Luck more like it.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Wow, you all are quite successful. I am going to try it this season, with the right setup presents itself.
Any details as to how you guys set up?
I set up in feeding areas. Edges of fields, Oak trees, funnels and trail ways. Set up in some cover, watch the wind and anticipate which way the deer will move in. Try to get comfortable. No problem with a tree to your back. Biggest thing is the wind. They'll walk right on you if they don't smell you and you don't fidget around. What's nice about hunting off a small stool is you can change positions real quick when you get into an area if the winds bad.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
First year with a bow for me, so please excuse the ignorance. I’ve always rifle hunted (center fire and muzzy) and have taken deer every year from the ground without the use of a blind and well within bow range. I guess my question is what’s different with a bow? Does using a blind bring added success or something?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Reading some responses make it seem as if ground hunting isn’t generally successful, and maybe that’s just a matter of preference or opinion?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
4 Buck and four doe all from the ground last several years. Ghillie suit, with high brush to your back, and watch your scent. I hunt both now, ( tree stands/ ground) but like the flexibility of moving if I have to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts