The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, what are you guys/gals using to hang your bow on while perched above the ground in your treestands?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Realtree ez hang 2 section and 3 section. I like the 3 better because it's easier to move out of the way for shots. It keeps the bow right wear you need it with minimal movement to grab it.

I'm interested in the new "Hawk" bow hanger sems pretty well thought out too.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I stand + hold my bow 90% of the time I'm on stand. Got a bow holster(?) that slides on my belt and has a pouch on the end of a strap that the bottom cam/pulley rests in. I do have the grommet bowholder on my LW, my old API I rest on the rail for the times I'm not holding it.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I never hold my bow, and use screw in hooks to hang it on. I have been picked off a time or two, but grabbing my bow from a hook has never been one.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I second the Realtree ez hangers. You can put your bow at an easy reach.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
i use the realtree e-z hanger as well.....2 and 3 piece. i use one down lower for my pack and the 3 piece up high for my bow. i have even used them to hand branches on trees with little or no cover.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I built one last year but think I am ordering a HME strap-on hanger. The arms on mine aren't quite long enough and it's a little bulky.

Here is the one I built with my old Assassin hanging from it:

·
Registered
20,911 Posts
I just use bow holders that attach to my stand.That way my bow is always within inches from my hand and it takes minimal movement to grab it.I have one of those real tree hooks but they can cost you a lot of money if you get caught using one.It just isn't worth it to me.Besides,they can get in the ay if you have to shoot behind the tree.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
dce said:
I just use bow holders that attach to my stand.That way my bow is always within inches from my hand and it takes minimal movement to grab it.I have one of those real tree hooks but they can cost you a lot of money if you get caught using one.It just isn't worth it to me.Besides,they can get in the ay if you have to shoot behind the tree.
i hang mine well above me and the one for my bag below me. i set up to shoot behind me on trees with no cover.

·
Registered
20,911 Posts
Realtrehntr said:
Can't use them on gamelands cuz they cause damage to the tree!
Can't use them anywhere without permission from the landowner.Not only will you have a fine to pay but you my also get charged for the value of the tree.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
25ftup said:
I never hold my bow, and use screw in hooks to hang it on. I have been picked off a time or two, but grabbing my bow from a hook has never been one.
+1 I carry enough stuff and some large, hinged hanging device doesn't have to be one of them.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
On my climber I have a bowholder mounted to it. My hang-ons and ladders I use screw-in hooks. I'm on private land almost always so the hooks aren't an issue. I only use my climber on public land so it's a non-issue as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,842 Posts
I use this one. Works great. I mount it on the foot platform between my feet, keeps the bow in easy reach and securely held. They may a rifle/crossbow version, too.

·
Registered
20,911 Posts
I use the almost the exact same one all most of my stands.The one's I use,are just much lower profile and put the bow on the left of stand within easy reach.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Realtrehntr said:
Can't use them on gamelands cuz they cause damage to the tree!
What I did was get a 2x4 block of wood about 8 inches in length.
Drilled a pilot hole so the block didn't split and screwed my hanger into the block.
Just above the hanger I mounted a pipe strap.
Ran my wratchet strap thru the pipe strap and secured the block to my tree, works fine for Gun or Bow.
Lancaster Archery and cabelas sell strap on hangers that dont need to be screwed in.

·
Banned
851 Posts
On most trees the 1 inch that the screw goes into the tree doesn't even make it into the cambium layer. There is only a chance that a screw would severely damage a tree even if it somehow made it into the heart wood.

I know it is the law but climbing stands probably do more damage to trees than screw in hangers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts