The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of conversation around dramatic decrease in turkey population over the past several years and I agree.
Curious as to thoughts on putting a bounty on coyotes for a period of time 3-5 years and then assess the results.
In my opinion and sightings and increased howling yote population has exploded, may not be the total result of a decrease in turkeys but I'm guessing they are putting a hurt on eggs and pults.
Also believe they are putting a hurt on the grouse.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Bounties do not help. Many states have tried to eradicate coyotes out west for years to no avail. I believe you have to take out 80 percent of a given population over a number of years to show any decrease. We run hounds on coyotes and sometimes we have trouble finding any in some areas toward the end of our running season thinking we wiped them out. Come back the next year and have just as many if not more. They are the ultimate survivor.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Isn’t going to happen.
The only way I can think of achieving it , substantially reducing the coyote population, is the same way we got rid of the wolves in the past, which is illegal, and should be.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Augusta County Virginia did a county bounty on Coyotes a few years ago and it did not last long.. They were mad if you brought your yote in if you killed it in a mountain area.. It was only intended for the farm areas..

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The only way to control a coyote population is to limit their food intake.

Out west they trap, poison, denning techniques and hunt. The population basically remains the same. Sure the population fluctuates, but it comes back to par overtime.

Once they establish a territory they will be there until they run out of food!

·
Super Moderator
8,518 Posts
The only way to control a coyote population is to limit their food intake.

Out west they trap, poison, denning techniques and hunt. The population basically remains the same. Sure the population fluctuates, but it comes back to par overtime.

Once they establish a territory they will be there until they run out of food!
Yep. Kill one, and two will show up for the funeral. It doesn’t matter how many I catch, there always seems to be the same number there the next year.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm no fan of coyotes but the deer population is out of control around me and without coyotes, I'd hate to see how many more deer we'd have. I'd rather see a bounty on raccoons and remove the moronic raptor protection laws. At face value, helping the turkey population seems like a no-brainer. Eliminate the fall season for hens. Eliminate the shooting of bearded hens in the spring and only one gobbler in the spring and one in the fall.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts