The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv never personally heard a hen mallard make that " bouncing hen " call not saying they dont. But does anyone use that in a call sequence when hunting or is that strictly a competition call sound. If anyone uses it any success decoying ducks with it?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The time when I think those types of sounds come into play is when you have multiple callers and you want to sound different. Like using a flute when others are on short reeds, it just adds something different and fills out the sound. Then again, I rarely use a feed, either. IMO, if the ducks aren't responsive to the sounds they hear and we hear, day in and day out, calling like that won't change a thing. They're either going to work or not. I've had the pleasure of hunting with a few contest callers and with all the fancy calling happening, we still managed to get skunked with birds in the air.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Competition call.

I had tripleguide hunting above me one day and he was blowing his competition duck stuff. Sounded fantastic to me but not like mallards I hear on the river. (I think he was just doing it to impress me. LOL!) I try to tone down stuff while hunting. Don't get me wrong I will blow a competition hail call at very distant ducks. And yes, once in a while it will turn them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I personally have herd the bouncing hen numerous times while listening to live ducks. Some guys get a little more dramatic with the cadence, that's why you may think you havnt heard it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts