The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
when you are sighting that in, dont take more than two shots before letting it cool down. if you have a thin barrel, the rounds can start walking. if thats a red dot, how big is the dot ? 2 moa or bigger ?
Don't really know. It's a Vortex Strikefire II red dot.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
when you are sighting that in, dont take more than two shots before letting it cool down. if you have a thin barrel, the rounds can start walking. if thats a red dot, how big is the dot ? 2 moa or bigger ?
2nd trip to the range. I tried an up-graded Federal ammo to use instead of a cheaper Federal load. Couldn't hit squat with it consistently and was about to give up for the day. I decided to have some fun and empty a magazine of the practice rounds before I left. I took aim (50 yards) and fired off as fast as I could squeeze. LOL, all 10 in the bulls-eye! So much for letting the barrel cool down!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put on a good variable scope and try for accuracy, a red do is good for most applications but I think a scope will improve it greatly. It should tighten those groups up .

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
a multi purpose AR has a good scope for long distance and a red dot mounted at a 45 degree angle off to the side for CQB stuff.
But I am also a retiree on fixed pension. For my use it's fine the way it is.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
ARs are fun to shoot, pain to clean if you shoot them a lot, especially with ammo that leaves lots of fouling behind? But I wouldn't be without one. My current fav is a Heinz 57, put together by a friend that's built dozens and dozens of ARs, Garands and 30 Carbines over the years.

Flat top upper, Ardel Engineering lower (very high quality, no longer made); CAR stock and a 16" Olympic target barrel. Barrel is nearly 1" under the hand guard, 3/4" to the muzzle. After market single stage trigger that is decent. Had originally intended to install a red dot or holographic, but put a 3X Nikon P-223 scope on it, instead.

My first AR was a Bushmaster CMP match rifle, probably about 18 years ago? Heavy rascal, but it was very accurate. Sold it when I quit shooting Hi Power matches some years ago. I mostly shoot Federal bulk 55gr FMJ ammo now, but once shot lots of Ultramax factory reloaded 55gr FMJ. All loaded in Lake City (military) brass. At one time that ran around $30 for 150 rounds, bulk packed.

That stuff worked very well in ARs, two different 223 rifles and a Mini 14 I had for years. Still have plenty of Malaysian mil spec ammo that's very accurate.

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
But I am also a retiree on fixed pension. For my use it's fine the way it is.
nothing wrong with your gun at all. i was just commenting on the general discussion. i like your gun and those groups. especially those ten in the bullseye with out waiting between shots...awesome !

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
nothing wrong with your gun at all. i was just commenting on the general discussion. i like your gun and those groups. especially those ten in the bullseye with out waiting between shots...awesome !
The plan is to do some yote hunting with it. I realize the red dot is not the ideal hunting scope but I don't think I've ever seen a yote beyond 50 yds. while sitting in the woods. I would think a scope would negate the AR as a home defense weapon, unless I maybe added a laser.;)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts