The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Remington V3 turkey pro today. Excited to send some shells thru it. Not a scope guy on my turkey gun. Took it off and sold it to a buddy. Anyone have this gun? Is the stock turkey choke good or should I look into buying one?

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Not a scope guy on my turkey gun. Took it off and sold it to a buddy. Anyone have this gun? Is the stock turkey choke good or should I look into buying one?

I'm probably going to do the same thing. I like looking down the rib. Can't wait to get mine and pattern it. Just reading about the "Headbanger" choke makes me think it will be WAY too tight for me... but we'll see.

Please post some pics of gun....patterns. I'm Jonesing, lol.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fall gobbler, I got mine at elk county ammo and arms. I like the feel on it a lot. I had a versa max and was never comfortable with it. This one is lighter and shorter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it’s a 12 gauge, 24 inch barrel. Only comes in 2 3/4 and 3 Inch shell Options. Very nice and light. Need to figure out if a different choke or not.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! It sounds about perfect for specialized turkey work in tight cover.

As for the choke, my personal rule of life - for any shotgun in any function - is to ALWAYS give the factory choke a chance at the pattern board before buying an aftermarket.

I have owned more than one gun where the factory choke gave as good or better patterns than various aftermarket chokes with my ammo of choice. If you can’t get quality patterns, of course, move on. But never presume that the choke you already paid for is simply not good enough before you prove that as fact.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! It sounds about perfect for specialized turkey work in tight cover.

As for the choke, my personal rule of life - for any shotgun in any function - is to ALWAYS give the factory choke a chance at the pattern board before buying an aftermarket.

I have owned more than one gun where the factory choke gave as good or better patterns than various aftermarket chokes with my ammo of choice. If you can’t get quality patterns, of course, move on. But never presume that the choke you already paid for is simply not good enough before you prove that as fact.

I would say that's good advice, however, the choke that comes "stock" on this gun is a TruGlo Headbanger choke, designed to hold dense patterns at long distance. Probably 95% of turkey hunters would be tickled with it (if it performs as advertised) but I like a more open choke. But you're right, I'll pattern it first to see.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I would say that's good advice, however, the choke that comes "stock" on this gun is a TruGlo Headbanger choke, designed to hold dense patterns at long distance. Probably 95% of turkey hunters would be tickled with it (if it performs as advertised) but I like a more open choke. But you're right, I'll pattern it first to see.
I hear you as far as wanting more open constriction and that’s an unquestionably valid need. I’m glad to hear that you’ll still pattern it with the stock chole just to see what you have.

There are plenty of field conditions where I’ll go as open as modified if the shots are going to be in tight. In fact, I don’t use an xtra full/turkey choke anymore without a scope because the risk to miss in close is too high with most super tight patterns I’ve tested. That’s especially important to consider since very few have ever hit dead to point of aim at, say, 10 yards. In the heat of the moment, that’s a recipe for a miss.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m waiting on some shells I order to get here to test the “factory” choke. The more I look up about the tru glow choke that comes with it the more I feel I won’t need to buy any thing. I’ll try to post some pics when ever I pattern it

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Any pics?

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Were those 40 yard patterns?

Just picked mine up last night. Very nice gun. The fit and finish and quality look and feel are all there. I put the plug in the magazine and cleaned the barrel and chamber. To test some loads this weekend. Not sure I'm going to like the TruGlo red dot. I don't like having to lift my head up like that, but we'll see.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fall gobbler, first thing I did was take the scope off. But if ya wanna try it more power to ya. Those were thirty yards. Ordered more targets going to shoot 40 this weekend. I’ll post some more pics

1 - 20 of 30 Posts