The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the boresnake really that good at cleaning a rifle over the traditional method?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I would say that is better than nothing! With it,how do you know that it is clean? Most of the the time the patches tell you,with the traditional method.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I use both methods... I start with white patches and some good ol' Hoppes Bore Solvent, run patches until clean, then follow with a well-oiled boresnake making the last pass before storage.

If time is of the essence, that's when the boresnake comes in handy. It's a "better than nothing" fix until you can clean it properly.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I use both.

If I just want to clean the bore out somewhat between hunting I use the snake. I also use them periodically to polish up the bore. I do not believe they replace good old fashioned cleaning.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Has anyone used patches immediately after using a boresnake? If so, what were the results? Just curious as to how well the snake really cleans.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'll give it a shot today. Both my slug gun and my rifle have been shot, boresnaked and wiped down with a silicone cloth, but not cleaned. I'll run a patch through before cleaning and let you know what I see.

·
Banned
751 Posts
they are a good patch, if you clean with a boresnake and then a patch you will still have fouling and lots of it. the bore will look clean and shiny, but trust looks are deceiving. i have done this experiment on 10 or 12 rifles and every one still had residue and fouling left in the barrel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought my first one last week. Wish I had saved the $15+. Looks to me like that string is going to pull off the snake someday out in the field and I'll be left with a worthless rifle, plugged with expensive rope. It was a gimmick for companies to make money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts