The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my inline a good cleaning today and lightly coated the bore with bore butter,my question is,do i need to completely remove all the bore butter before i load and shoot? thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yes get that junk out of your barrel, and throw the tube B.B. away. There are much better rust preventatives to use.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Smells nice but not that good as a rust preventative. I learned the hard way. I use wonder lube and it seems to do what I need both prevent rust and lube for shooting. Just one of many options though. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
WD-40 is not a rust preventer.It is a water displacer.Guy on another site did a test with multiple nails that were all cleaned and all oil removed.Nails were then lubed with numerous oils from gun oils to transmission fluids.Board was placed outside exposed to all weather conditions.Last I heared olive oil was best and gun oils were failing.
During the muzzy season my barrels have NO oil of any kind in the barrel till after the season.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
yeah i can agree, wd40 will not prevent rust, i had a crankshaft turned and sprayed it down, That sucker was toast after 2 weeks in the shop. Money well not spent.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I have used BB in my ML's for years and I have never had a hangfire because I didn't clean it from the barrel before shooting it.I use a very thin coat of BB in all my muzzleloader barrels.I would rather have BB in the tube than a puddle of WD40.JMO

·
Registered
431 Posts
frontier gander said:
yeah i can agree, wd40 will not prevent rust, i had a crankshaft turned and sprayed it down, That sucker was toast after 2 weeks in the shop. Money well not spent.
All I can say is if it does not prevent rust my nice shiny bore should be pretty rusty by now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never had a problem with BB. Alot of peolple don't like it, but it has always been good for me. None of my muzzleloaders have ever rusted.

Scott

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use it in mine never a missfire.Maybe you used too much ? I just put a little on a patch and run it down at the end of season.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Man I wish I hadn't read this post!! Too many conflicting opinions
I have used BB since i got a flinter last year. has worked great so far. now I'm worried about it. guy who got me started sweared by it, has used if for YEARS, and I have no problems so far. Guessing...Now I'm thinkin a little too much???

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I use it, never had problems with it. Works best as a patch for roundball lube and lube inside the grooves of maxi-type of bullets.

I think it is a decent rust inhibitor

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
To answer the original question, yes remove all oil/solvents before loading. I go so far as to run an alcohol patch then a few dry patches and let my barrel dry before loading my flinter. Then a put in powder, patched round ball, then if hunting in wet weather I run a patch lightly coated with bore butter just to lightly coat the barrel in front of the load and ball.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Should'nt have to clean the BB out before loading unless you caked it in there.
As far as rust inhibitor I think it depends on your humidity level, I have used BB and had rust starting in the barrel, I just use it for patch lube and air freshener love that smell.

WD-40 evaporates after a while and guns started getting rust, I use BreakFree CLP now on everything and it cured my rust problems.
Just swab out the bore and wipe off pan/frizzen with alcohol and your ready to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rem OIl is the only thing i put down my barrels in fact a light coat of the stuff goes on the whole gun when im done cleaning, nothing else, ask anyone who know my guns are always rust free, always jave been always will be. did I mention I use Rem Oil???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts