The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning on bore sighting a .50 caliber however the collimator that I have acces to May only go up to .45.
I’m just checking to see if anyone knows any tricks that will help.
I do have one idea but am curious to hear any others.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
i never bore sight. i start at 25 yards and go from there. you just have to be on the backboard at 25, if you are not on the standard size backboards get a new gun. just cover the backboard with white butcher paper, hang your target and you're in business.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
i never bore sight. i start at 25 yards and go from there.
This.

If you are talking a traditional ML, you are sighting at around 1/2 the average distance of 50 yards for hunting. Yeah, +/- some, but around 50. Get on paper at 25, and use 50 to fine tune Your load for grouping. Then adjust or file sights as necessary to move the group.

For an Inline, the 25 is still showing You are at least "on paper" at 25, without having fliers when starting at 50+.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I only bore sight centerfire rifles, and even then I start out at 50 yards. I use a roll of kraft paper that is about 30 inches long. I cut targets about 2 foot wide. Its over kill but if the sights are off, 9 times out of 10 I'll still hit somewhere on that size piece of paper. If not, then something is really wrong. I've not been wrong yet.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s an in-line and a Leupold BDC Scope once I get 50 yards the rest is easy. Just starting from scratch again can be tough.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Are you able to remove the breech plug? If so you can possibly bore sight old school like you can with a bolt action centerfire. Take the breech plug out, align bore onto target, then with gun clamped or somehow held firmly without moving adjust scope until it is also aligned with target.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Are you able to remove the breech plug? If so you can possibly bore sight old school like you can with a bolt action centerfire. Take the breech plug out, align bore onto target, then with gun clamped or somehow held firmly without moving adjust scope until it is also aligned with target.
Done this many times or if not possible just start at 25 yd and go from there as said.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I’m planning on bore sighting a .50 caliber however the collimator that I have acces to May only go up to .45.
I’m just checking to see if anyone knows any tricks that will help.
I do have one idea but am curious to hear any others.
Thanks
I have the Lazerlite bore sighter and use a 50 cal plastic sabot with a hole drilled in the bottom center and used the screw to attach the 45 cal adapter, in side the sabot where the bullet would go. You can tighten it to fit the 50 cal bore.
But it is easier to just start at 25 yards.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've wrapped a tape around the collimator until it is the diameter of the 50 cal. As long as you wrap the tape evenly, it works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Lazerlite bore sighter and use a 50 cal plastic sabot with a hole drilled in the bottom center and used the screw to attach the 45 cal adapter, in side the sabot where the bullet would go. You can tighten it to fit the 50 cal bore.
But it is easier to just start at 25 yards.
That was my plan B.
I’m just trying to save a few shots

1 - 10 of 10 Posts