The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to how many people have tried this. I tried it yesterday with my 11-87 and it really does leave the bore looking like glass. I figured id try it to see if i get an increase in pattern density.. I read all of these posts about how dense some patterns look at 40 yds and how many pellets inside a 10" circle and mine have never compared no matter the choke/load combo.. i have 6 different chokes at least 7-8 different boxes of ammo.. i dont really even shoot 40 yds but itd be nice to know that i could.. again, just lookin to see whos done this and what results theyve gotten.. i will say, if it doesnt increase pattern density, atleast i have 1 heck of a clean bore!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My brother just bought all the stuff they recommend on the OG forum to polish bores.
He did a buddies Mossberg 500 that was filthy black just the other day. With Hevi 6's that gun went from under 100 in 10" at 40yd, to 170 in 10" at 40yd.
We're going to do my 870 this weekend. I Bore Snake mine, but never tried all that brilo pad, bore butter, polish and what not.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
After you're done polishing, give the barrel a deep cleaning. Sometimes the cleaning alone is all that's necessary. Also, if you have a gun with a chrome lined barrel, just deep clean it. Polishing guns with chrome lined barrels is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I deep cleaned my barrel last year and it really helped my pattern. I am averaging around 260ish in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I went ahead and tried polishing barrel and it really turned out well. I havent been able to do some test patterning to compare to just the deep cleaining. We shall see though. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks.. i was looking at a method that used scotch brite (green and white) with jb bore cleaner and bore bright

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fair child, i also always did bore snake.. occasionally i did the 12ga brush with cleaner and such

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
I did it 2 years ago on my two 20's and it appears to have increased my pellet count at 40 yds. by 10-15% Also the barrels appears much smoother in appearance.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
TURKEY BOY...you know why your patterns and the rest of us who are honest about the distances that we shoot them is..because those that show these 350 hit targets are using 7-8-9 shot OR they are lying through their teeth at what the real distances are...don't worry yours shoots exactly the same as the rest of the honest people..don't loose any sleep about deep cleaning and the rest of the nonsense..

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
6-DASHER said:
TURKEY BOY...you know why your patterns and the rest of us who are honest about the distances that we shoot them is..because those that show these 350 hit targets are using 7-8-9 shot OR they are lying through their teeth at what the real distances are...don't worry yours shoots exactly the same as the rest of the honest people..don't loose any sleep about deep cleaning and the rest of the nonsense..
Spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue.

Turkeyboy, I commend you for having enough respect for the game you pursue to make sure your equipment performs to the best of its abilities. Polishing will help, no doubt. The only question that remains is how much your particular gun will benefit from it. Let us know how it works out for you. And as far as the 7,8,9 shot go, 7 hevishot penetrates/carries energy about like 5 lead, and 8 and 9 shot TSS will penetrate a turkeys skull at 65-70 yards. So, imagine what 300-350 of those pellets would do to a turkeys face at 40 yards? I'll take that any day, over 100 or so lead 5s or 6s.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
6-DASHER said:
If you ever are in my neck of the woods I insist you bring your laser range finder and whatever else you would like to wager. Honest answer is that no one is going to put up 350+ in a 10" circle at 40yds with #4 or #5 shot, I have never seen it done with #6 shot either, but I have straight #7 Hevi and 5x7 and 6x7 hevi loads that will easily do it at a measured 40 yds. #7 Hevi has plenty of pellets and plenty of penetration to kill at that distance and #8 & #9 Tungsten will easily penetrate a turkey at 40yds while putting the numbers up that you say are lies.
Anytime you want to try it just let me know.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Borden811 said:
6-DASHER said:

Turkeyboy, I commend you for having enough respect for the game you pursue to make sure your equipment performs to the best of its abilities. Polishing will help, no doubt. The only question that remains is how much your particular gun will benefit from it. Let us know how it works out for you. And as far as the 7,8,9 shot go, 7 hevishot penetrates/carries energy about like 5 lead, and 8 and 9 shot TSS will penetrate a turkeys skull at 65-70 yards. So, imagine what 300-350 of those pellets would do to a turkeys face at 40 yards? I'll take that any day, over 100 or so lead 5s or 6s.
X2

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
mfuff said:
Borden811 said:
6-DASHER said:

X2

Amen Borden. Well said!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
bore snake is one of the worse ways to clean YOUR BARREL. stick to a good rod, brushes and patches. stay away from the bore snake. all it will do is keep your gun dirty.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just polished my shotgun tonight. Hope to find out this weekend if it did much to the pattern. I also used the steps as outlined on the Old Gobbler forum with scotch brite pads, and the compounds listed. It certainly made my barrel look smoother and brought out some black looking patches. Even if it doesn't help the pattern much it certainly gave it a very thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've had good luck polishing similar to how it is shown on oldgobbler. I gained about 20%. As far as the comments about the patterns, I've seen these feats firsthand. And todays heavier than lead loads can certainly get the job done . For the guy that has done his work and knows his weapon, the game has changed . I love to call em close but a hung up birsd at sixty yds alot of times is going to die with todays chokes and loads . My gun is a stone cold killer at 50 and that is as far as im going to take it. I shoot the Hevishot magnum blend. Stuff is devastating in my setup.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i did my 870....

i used a brass muzzleloader rod in a drill, a 20ga brush, green scotch bright and blue scotch bright and oil...

ran the green through and then the blue...

like a mirror...and pattern density got very nice...

shotgun bores are often left pretty well dirty...we dont think of a dirty shotgun bore as effecting much...but it can...

i recommend doing it outside or somewhere grim/oil wont mater...i made a bit of a mess..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was planning on getting out yesterday, but this fun snow squall came through with a bunch of wind and just made things miserable by me.. hopefully itll be a nicer day today.. it is quite a messy process.. i had old towels laid down and alot of black did come out of the barrel, alot i believe was from the jb bore cleaner which is gray in color and from the oil i used with it... thank god the girlfriend wanted to buy all new towels lol, i had plenty of old towels to use. another question about bore polishing i have is, does this have to be done every so often? does it start losing its effect after so many shots? or does it stay the same as long as i clean the barrel out good?

also, just wanted to say, im glad people realize im just trying to optimize my equipment in order to have good quick clean humane kills, and not just trying to get a pattern for bragging rights and such

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Once per season is sufficient . It's not something you want to overdo . I have a chrome lined barrel and you have to be gentle with those too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts