The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Africa for the first time and I'm told my Muck boots won't cut it. I'm looking for suggestions from someone who's "been there, done that" on what boots to buy. Russell's look great, but I could pay another trophy fee for what they cost. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ramcat

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I was over last may and just wore my Irish setters and they worked fine. I did have a pair of leather danners and it was seriously so dry after 1 day they squeaked when walking, lol.
where are you going?

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
V
ramcat said:
I'm headed to Africa for the first time and I'm told my Muck boots won't cut it. I'm looking for suggestions from someone who's "been there, done that" on what boots to buy. Russell's look great, but I could pay another trophy fee for what they cost. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ramcat
I have a friend that went over twice now call me some evening.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If their aboriginal hunters go barefoot then you should be able to wear your tennis shoes and be way ahead of the curve! I'm just joking. What species are you getting tags for?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My feet are too tender to go barefoot. I don't even like going barefoot in the driveway! Hoping for kudu, impala, warthog, zebra, and gemsbok.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I've been there 5 times. I usually just wear an ankle height hiking shoe. If you are going say late May through early September, you don't even need to worry about waterproof because it's the dry season. Unless you are hunting up around the C.A.R. or something like that.
If you plan to hunt in shorts at all, I'd recommend some type of gaiter on your leg. Most every bush over there is some type of thorny jaggers. Every time I wear shorts without a gaiter, I look like someone took a razor to me legs.
Make your shots count on the zebra and gemsbok. They are among the toughest animals over there IMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A lot depends on where in Africa you are hunting. Seeing gemsbok on your list I would assume you are going to southern Africa but terrain can be very different from one area to the next. Example the Eastern Cape has lots of very rocky mountains, & you will need boots with stiff soles to prevent hurting your feet. Other parts of the country are flat & sandy.
I use a light weight, ankle high, hiking boot with a aggressive sole. I also use gaiters (not snow gaiters) to keep the grass seeds out of my socks & other trash out of my boots. I generally wear long pants, light weight, green cotton that is double faced.
I also take two pairs of boots & alternate them every day so they have a chance to dry out from perspiration. Take a extra pair of socks and change at noon if necessary.
Weather, as mentioned it is generally the dry season, however one day in August ten years ago we had rain, sleet, & snow all in one day in the Eastern Cape. I always take a light weight waterproof jacket just in case.
Remember to bring some camp shoes. Also once the sun goes down the temperature can change quickly.
Watch the sun, I wear long sleeve shirts, not for warmth but to keep from getting burned. Look at the light weight fast dry shirts often used in fishing.
I have a small bag I put into the truck with some "stuff", extra socks, jacket, sun screen, extra ammo.
Another thing, stop at Walmart & get a big bag of Jolly Ranchers, the trackers & staff love them.
Last thing, keep a eye on US Customs. They are in process of changing what we need to do to travel out of the country with a rifle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kebco,
thanks for the pointers, greatly appreciated! Outfitter is telling us that the ground is mostly level and sandy, but not difficult walking. Good call on the Jolly Ranchers!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
big28hunter said:
Kebco please keep us updated on the change if you don't mind. Headed back to the Cape next April. TY and Good huntin'
I will know first hand soon enough, I have a hunt in Canada in May followed by one in Zim in Aug.
If you have not see this, you should take a look.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3532534#Post3532534
Right now you will have to have a unique number from the Commerce export system & stop by US Customs before checking your guns at the port of departure.
Right now you will have to hire a customs broker to get you the Commerce number. If you need a broker PM me. Mine is up to speed on this.

·
Registered
490 Posts
ramcat said:
Kebco,
thanks for the pointers, greatly appreciated! Outfitter is telling us that the ground is mostly level and sandy, but not difficult walking. Good call on the Jolly Ranchers!!
What time of year are you going?
I would still use waterproof ankle high boots.
The dew early & late in the day can soak your boots. Running type shoes do not work for me, nothing worse than wet shoes & some sand in them......ask me how I know. Kinda like walking with your feet wrapped in sandpaper.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I will be near Vic Falls in Zimbabwe in Aug. Good luck & we can compare notes when we both get back.

Now for the "bad news", once you have gone it is hard to not want to go back. I was planning my return before the first trip was over.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Kebco said:
I will be near Vic Falls in Zimbabwe in Aug. Good luck & we can compare notes when we both get back.

Now for the "bad news", once you have gone it is hard to not want to go back. I was planning my return before the first trip was over.
Isn't that the truth!
Safari #3 next April

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Just picked up a pair of these at Cabelas yesterday. IMO Exactly the right boot for such a trip.

Under Armour® Wall Hanger Hunting Boots

• Waterproof leather and 1,000-denier Cordura-nylon uppers
• GORE-TEX breathable waterproof linings
• UA Scent Control with Cupron antibacterial copper-infused linings
• UA ClutchFit ankle-support system
• TPU toecaps

Tackle the outdoors with Under Armour's Wall Hanger Hunting Boots. Uppers are constructed of panels of waterproof leather and 1,000-denier Cordura® nylon for water-resistant and durable wear. GORE-TEX® breathable waterproof linings absorb moisture to keep your feet dry. UA Scent Control with Cupron antibacterial copper-infused linings reduce the growth of odor-causing bacteria, ensuring freshness and hunters' stealth. UA ClutchFit ankle-support system adds extra stability. TPU toecaps protect delicate toe regions. 4D Foam® sock liners with heel impact pads and lightweight molded EVA midsoles with reinforced TPU shanks cradle feet and absorb shock. High-abrasion rubber-lug outsoles grant traction in unpredictable terrain. Imported.
Ht: 7".
Avg wt: 2.2 lbs./pair.
Mens' sizes: 8-14 medium width. Half sizes to 12.
Camo pattern: Realtree XTRA®.

·
Registered
490 Posts
One more suggestion...Do not forget gaiters
http://www.shopboytharness.com/product/safari-gaiters/
If you can not find them in the US you can get some in Africa (ask your PH before you get there).
Mine are leather but the cloth ones seem to work well also.
The grass seeds will work their way though your socks, also helps keep your boots tied and trash out of your boots.
This is similar to the pants I like, the double face cotton will protect you from thorns.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/carhartt-dungaree-jeans-double-front-washed-for-men~p~22334/?colorFamily=40&merch=prod-sim-prod-22334
What ever you wear, be sure you wash it several times before going so that it is soft and makes no noise.
No longer sure how many times I have been, try & go every year or two. Already have deposits paid for two more hunts after the one in Aug. but one has been postponed for the last two years (supposed to go in 2014, now postponed until at least 2016) due to political decisions by US F&WS & the current administration in the White House.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts