The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be upgrading my boots in the coming months and am wondering how much insulation I should get in them. 400? 800? 1200? I need these boots to be a 'do it all' boot here in PA. So from early October archery hunts, to rifle, to after Christmas flintlock, to late season archery in SRA. ALso the possibility of a hunting out west for elk is in the near future. In the past I've used primarily Rocky rubber boots and am looking to go back to a leather hunting boot. My initial thought is to go with 800 grams of thinsulate. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I'm very fortunate in that I have good circulation in my feet and don't get cold feet if properly prepared. That said, I wear 800 gram goretex boots (Danner Pronghorns) in the rifle and late season. I have friends that get cold feet with 2000 gram boots.

There's no way I could stand wearing those boots in archery season. Plus, the more insulation, the "clumpier" they are as far as hiking.

IMHO, it's really hard to have one pair of boots to "do it all." I would keep an eye on catalogs like the "Sportsman's Guide". They have every level of foot gear and with their prices, you can have several pairs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I agree with fall gobbler. What the OP is asking for in one pair of boots is a lot. I personally would never archery hunt in a leather boot either. An elk hunting boot and a PA deer season boot can be on either side of the spectrum depending on how you hunt.
For me, I'd need at least three different boot for what's being described.
The sportsman's guide thing is some good advice.

·
Registered
39,349 Posts
I have a pair of LaCrosse rubber boots. 1200 grams of insulation. I wear them from the beginning of October to "buck" season and they're great. I used to wear leather boots and would not go back to them. Not for hunting anyway. They're comfortable, easy on/off, help with scent control, roomy enough so I can wiggle my toes to keep my feet warm and put heat packs inside if I need to when sitting for long periods of time. When they wear out I'll get another pair of the same.

Btw, I had a bad experience with Rocky boots would never buy another pair. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
800 grams of thinsulate is a good compromise. If you need more for sitting on the colder days, you can get a pair of Artic Booties to slip on over the boots. They're thin and very packable. They are not made for walking, even short distance , as the soles are flat and have no traction. They cost about $30.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If your locked into getting one boot to cover both warm & extreme temps I would go with 400 grams of insulation and use a sock liner and different socks to suit conditions. HW merino or Norway wool sock with a quality sock liner(polypro, cabelas outfitter grade etc)would be all you need for cold conditions. In warm temps just a sport lite cotton/wool blend sock would suffice. Suggest getting a high quality leather boot with vibram soles etc such as some Danners have.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a pair of wolverines with 1000 grams of thinsulate. ive worn these from small game right through deer season. these boots are waterproof also. been wearing these for about 15 years and only had to have them resoled.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am another guy that has many pairs of boots. I can't imagine picking one style or weight for a "do-all" pair. I have 200, 400, 600, and 1,000 gram hunting boots, a pair of Arctic Muck boots, and a pair of Pac boots, along with uninsulated work boots and hikers.
Before anyone thinks I am rich, I have picked these boots up over the last 15 years or so, mostly on sale. I could get by with uninsulated work boots, a 400 gram hunting boot and the Mucks-but I enjoy my time outdoors working and hunting too much to compromise.

Will

·
Registered
883 Posts
Honestly you might as well forget about a one pair for all seasons boot. You need at least 2 pairs. Like others have said, sportsmans guide. I will recommend Irish setter boots. Have worn them for years and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have several pairs of boots as others do but I would at least get 2. I would get a 400 gram for the early season and an 800-1000 gram for rifle, late archery. I like wolverine and lacrosse but I'm looking at some Irish setters this year. I personally don't like rubber boots and also had bad experience with Rocky boots.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I wouldn't be happy with just one pair. My feet would be too hot or too cold. I'm a pretty frugal guy but I still keep four pair in my hunting closet.

An uninsulated pair of LaCrosse 18" rubber boots for trapping early archery and warm season hunting like spring gobbler and small game when it's wet out or I know I'll be in wet conditions. I wear these boots more than any of the others.

A pair of LaCrosse 18" rubber boots with 800 grams of Thinsulate. I use these for late season grouse hunting or deer hunting when there's snow on the ground or if I'm going to be moving through wet/swampy areas.

A pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers with 200 grams of insulation that I use for spring gobbler, early season small game and any time it's not too cold and I don't expect to be in overly wet conditions.

A pair of Irish Setter Deer Stalkers with 1,200 grams of insulation I use for very cold weather deer and bear hunts when I'll be on stand and not moving much.

I can't imagine one boot that would perform well under all those conditions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts