The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. What if the GC had a bonus buck tag drawing? It would be set up so the revenue would be used to acquire more gamelands or habitat improvement. They wouldn't need to sell many, maybe 2000 or so at $50 or so. The goal would be to raise $100k a year or so. I'd be game for it. I guess that would be neat to hunt for the chance at a second buck. This was totally an impulse post and probably will get slaughtered on it since it did think out B,C, D, etc.... I'd rather hunt here for another buck than go to Ohio or NY. Not that I do now, but every year I think a out it. Neither one is far away for me. I think it would keep some money in the state.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have thought about that myself, but in a different way. My feelings were to make a trophy tag to honor WCO Grove. One for each county of PA, 67 total, and make it a lottery. $10 to enter, half of the money goes to a scholarship in WCO Grove's name and the other half goes to equip and train our WCO's. The tage itself could be in a Green color and have WCO Grove's badge in the background, or something like that. And if you were lucky enough to get one, you would need to use it on an 8 pt or better. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I like the idea for acquiring new land. But with a large percentage of PA hunters complaining about no deer this, AR is dumb that its probably a pipe dream.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea i would be game for that... i hunt the state of delaware and you can buy 2 buck tags which is nice one is for any antlerd deer 3'' or bigger and the secound is for a quality deer 15'' inside spread or bigger... i have always liked that and thought it would be nice if pa hade somthing like that..

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Lets turn in everyone you know that kills more than one buck every year and make the fine 15 grand !

·
Banned
979 Posts
Great Idea, NOT! Only 2000 tags??? So the other 800K hunters in the state can whine, complain and cry that they were denied a tag and cause even more divide between our ranks?? Nah, pass...There are to many hunters in this state for that to work, heck we can't even agree on xbows in archery season and you wanna open this can of worms??? PASS

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Why not just charge $20 a point for every deer over "ate" points.
Waugh!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Bill_Weber_RRT said:
Only 2000 tags??? So the other 800K hunters in the state can whine, complain and cry that they were denied a tag and cause even more divide between our ranks??
How many elk tags are issued ?? Same number of hunters are eligible to apply for those.

I think it's a GREAT idea.............. IF the revenues generated go to a noble cause and ONLY that cause.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I don't think I agree with extra buck tags. If looking to increase revenue I think there are better less radical ideas that may appease both sides of the AR/HR issue.

How about charge more for doe tags and have them controlled by the PAGC not county treasurers. Double the price and they are still cheep, throw a couple bucks from each tag to the treasurers to stop them from crying. Charging more and they could give out less tags too.

Sell a doe tag with each license and have folks draw for a buck tag. Maybe even a 3pt to side(min) tag costs $25. 4pt to side (min) $15.

Just throwing out randome ideas like the OP. Unfortunatly there is no way to make everyone happy, but most reasonable people can agree that we could afford to give the PAGC a little more for all the great opportunities we have in Pa.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Why don't we make them $500 or so?You are talking about trophy hunting and $500 is very cheap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can't make them cost to much. If you do then, "your just catering to the rich!" Everyone can swing $50. If you are really tight one year, and can't, you can try again next year. But with the cost of everything in hunting these days $50 isn't that big of an outlay. Just thinking of ways to put more $ in the GC for good causes. Other posters had some good ideas. And once again we have to try to keep PA money in PA.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you want to shoot a "Trophy" just hold off until one appears,I dont see the need for a special license. The GC needs a fee increase overall to help out at this time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
we dont need a bonus buck tag ,many people dont even get one buck during the year ,,if you want a second buck there are other ways and places to get one ,,if you want to donate to WCO Groves scholarship ,,there is a place in the book to do that on page 79
Both issue can be done without any changes

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
In about 10yrs we are going to have to buy a buck "stamp" in addition to the license due to the loss of hunter numbers. They may sell a second "stamp" around the same time. If you only have 500,000 hunters out of the 1 million plus had you got to get money from somewhere !!! If we're lucky the PGC will be able to cover operating costs, doubt they will be in position to buy land.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Make it an extra $20 when buying a license to hunt on Sundays. In all seriousness think of the revenue and only people licensed to hunt that day would be capable.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
It is called sarcasm.There is no need for a second buck tag in Pa.Reasons for that are
#1 herd reduction was done to promote a correct buck to doe ratio.
#2 Rifle hunters would not permit archers to take a second buck before them.
#3 Archery season would need to be made shorter and eliminate rut hunting.How many archers want that?They fought hard to get it.
You I will assume are an achery hunter that tagged out early.Do Pa's other hunters deserve a chance before you get to shoot a second buck?That is a definite yes.
Antler greed brings hunting as a whole down.That is where we are,we are no longer headed there.Pa used to be 1 deer a year,sex of the animal was unimportant.However the PGC always had doe season secondary to buck season.We are already divided enough.I hunt archery and rifle.If you need a second buck help a kid,senior citizen or military vet get one.You would be very well rewarded over one for yourself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts