The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bone or stone points

i was just wonderin if anyone on here made there own points from bones or stones. if so, what bones or stones to you perfer?? any input is appreciated.
thanks,
troutman

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Re: bone or stone points

I've made arrows from both but havent hunted with them yet.
I really got a kick out of using my dogs soup bones to make heads and you may be surprised just how sharp you can make a bone point.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Are stone points legal for hunting in PA? The way the regs read it sounds to me like they are not. Anyone have a definite answer?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts

They are legal. Regs specify "broadheads of cutting design". No mention of material.

·
Registered
244 Posts

On page 30 of the digest it says "Broadheads shall have an outside diameter of at least 7/8" with no less than two STEEL cutting edges." That's why I was curious if stone points were legal.

·
Registered
18,709 Posts

Youtube has some awesome videos posted on flintknapping. Was actually looking at a few last night. Thinking about giving it a try at some point.

Search "flintknapperjimmy" there and watch what he does with stone. Amazing a beautiful pieces of art.

·
Registered
18,709 Posts

Never thought of that Rut.
I have looked for points several times and have come up empty. Figured if I can't find them could always try to make em.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

dpms said:
Youtube has some awesome videos posted on flintknapping. Was actually looking at a few last night. Thinking about giving it a try at some point.

Search "flintknapperjimmy" there and watch what he does with stone. Amazing a beautiful pieces of art.
Thanks for the tip................watched some of them last night. Don't know what I am looking at, but that guy looks like he knows what he is doing!

Think I might get a book or two and read up on the basics, to give me a better idea what I'm looking at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts