The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Suburban that still has a strong engine, but being eaten out in the rear. Quarters mainly. If I buy a gallon of Bondo, what is the best way to fill it in before applying a good dose of Bondo. I actually riveted tin to it last year, now that is even failing. Don't really want the expense of replacing both qtrs.

...... I'm not body man as you can tell.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Well without seeing the problem areas it's kind of hard to say anything except to say just follow the instructions on the can... Have you considered using fiberglass to fix the problem/s?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll consider anything honestly. If I can paint the picture of say 8" diameter holes of rotted metal on each panel, that would best describe it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
well I've seen both ways to use bondo.
the correct way is patch in the area to be covered well enough to only need a thin coat to smooth out. mig or rivet sheet metal in place

I have also shoved a hoagie from lunch in a hole and plastered over it.
it really depends on how well you want the repair to last

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
make sure you cutout all the rusted area. Did my truck and ended up with a hole 2 times the size of the rusted area I saw from the out side. Used sheet metal and rivets under it. was 4 years ago. also left a drain hole as area was getting water inside some how.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Just do it the right way and replace both quarters unless you just want it to pass inspection.You can put a pile of time and work into it and it will be bad again in a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts