The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys are fletch their own bolts, what fletching jig are you using? What offset, etc and vanes are you using?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm still using my 40 year old Bitzenberger jig with about a two degree offset. Four inch vanes stabilize a 125 grain head on 20" aluminum shafts nicely. This season, I have taken the sixth deer with the same bolt/broadhead. Starting to wonder why I made up a dozen bolts.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I've been using a 3° offset and find its near perfect for a balance of speed and accuracy. Bohning makes a very nice jig for crossbow with the 3° straight offset. My favorites are Blazer vanes if they will clear your barrel channel. If your bow needs a lower profile vane, the Vane-Tec Swift vanes in 2.88 inch length are tough to beat.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I use an Arizona E-Z Fletch for carbon crossbow arrows.
Helical fletching will set the vane at a slight offset at the back and then curve the vane back in the opposite direction toward the front. Adding this “twist” to the vane will give your arrow the maximum amount of rotation in flight, thus resulting in the best broadhead stability and greatest accuracy.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I had mixed results using the Arizona EZ fletch. A few summers ago I shot a Ten Point Vapor. I used the Arizona. It shot dimes at 40 yards with field points all summer. That fall when I tried Broadheads, the best three shots were in a 5 inch circle at 40 yards. I tried every broadhead I had access to. Nothing worked. I finally cut the fletchings off and went back to a 3° straight offset and was back shooting dimes. That was just one experience. I've seen other bows that just love the Arizona EZ fletch. Test everything if you go that route.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bohning tower jig, blazer vanes on a 1 degree offset, spynal tapp arrows

·
Registered
525 Posts
Bohning tower jig, blazer vanes on a 1 degree offset, spynal tapp arrows
What do you use for cleaning the excess glue, and such from the jig when done?
In the past I have used the Arizona E-Z fletch, and after a while of trying to keep it cleaned up, I ended up basically having to replace the whole thing. The last one I had I pretty much destroyed it trying to keep after it as far as cleaning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What do you use for cleaning the excess glue, and such from the jig when done?
In the past I have used the Arizona E-Z fletch, and after a while of trying to keep it cleaned up, I ended up basically having to replace the whole thing. The last one I had I pretty much destroyed it trying to keep after it as far as cleaning.

I use an extremely small tip to apply the glue, and then use a toothpick to spread it out and remove any excess. Less is better.

To keep my jig clean, I apply a thin coat of bowstring wax to the arms that hold the vanes. Glue won't stick to it very well.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
525 Posts
BedfordQDM:
Thank you for answering my question. I usually always use a very small tip to apply the glue, and never gave bow string wax a thought. Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Got to give credit to the guys over at AT for the bowstring wax trick. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
AZ easy fletch with blazers set at 4 degree right off set on my arrows out of my Excalibur exocet 200..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts