The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a bud dove hunting last year on a goo farm. I get a tex today sayin hey i can hunt that farm u took me to last year. I stopped and asked permission.who does that ?

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Re: Boiling

Sadly, ALOT of people do that. That's why I'm VERY hesitant to hunt with folks I don't know well, and in one case, with someone I USED to know well....

·
Registered
6,416 Posts

quackmaster4 said:
I'm VERY hesitant to hunt with folks I don't know well, and in one case, with someone I USED to know well....
Same here and same here.

Introduced a lifelong friend to goose hunting 20 or so years ago.

Long story short......... now I can't find a spot on the VERY FARM we started hunting on (the one I took HIM to) because he brings 6 or 7 other guys and a trailer full of dekes at 9:00 the night BEFORE the opener so he's sure they are there before me.

Haven't spoken to the @$$&*!# for about 8 years now.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Yep, 'been there done that,' more than once. It's the main reason I almost never hunt with anyone other than my long time hunting partner. It's a lesson many of us have learned the hard way.

·
Registered
964 Posts

For me one of the joys of hunting is introducing folks to my favorite places. We've hosted lots of guys at our little house in Saskatchewan and also at my cabin here in PA. Not only have I never been burned, I've enjoyed the reciprocation of grouse and woodcock hunting in northern Wisconsin and late season doodle hunting on the eastern shore of Maryland and in a couple weeks sharps and huns in Montana. Hearing about the bad experiences of some fellas here makes me appreciate how lucky I apparently am!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Big Don,
Sounds like you have been lucky. The deal that soured me on sharing covers happened in '92'. A good business associate knew that my partner and I spent a lot of time in the grouse woods of northwestern Pa. He asked several times if he and his brother could go along on 'just one hunt' with us. You know, to see how we did it, how our dogs worked.
I finally relented and we took him and his brother to a couple of our best spots. My main dog 'jack' was on his game that day and we killed seven grouse over his points. Should have had the eighth but this guys brother whiffed four or five chances. They were very happy and thanked us.
About ten days later my partner and I go back in to hunt those spots and we see a strange pick up parked where we usually park. Ok, we don't own the woods, so I begin to back out to turn around and nearly run over two EP's that have just come out of the cover behind the truck. I jumped out to make sure the dogs were safe and out of the way when who should step out of the cover but this same guy, and he's not alone. Nope, he brought two guys with him. Turns out they are his shooting buddies from the gun club he belonged to up near Erie. This guy was so clueless that he didn't even acknowledge that he had just committed a mortal sin in the world of bird hunting.
Seemed like after that they were in those spots any time we wanted to try them so we just wrote those spots off and moved on. But the lesson remained.

·
Registered
927 Posts

Man that sounds frustrating but I have the problem of not being able to get anybody to go to my spots even when I offered to take them so I guess it works both ways lol, My hunting buddy takes me to his spots locally and even asks the land owner for permission for myself to come back and haunt but I never take the opportunity because I just feel weird about going places that he showed me without him I think I've only done it one time and that was after him telling me several times that it was okay I do understand your problem though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I went and talked to the farmer today and he told me that guy told him he was only gonna hunt there wit me . Yea right. But the corn is usually cut for the first day. Farmer said its gonna be two to three wks yet before he cuts. Haha. So i found a new farm today and saw a bunch of doves flying there. I aint takin nobody but my 3 brothers.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

My buddy and I have each gotten permission to hunt deer on our own farms. On occasion he's brought me to one or two of is and I've done the same for him. Sometimes I'll tell him to hunt a spot without me and he's done the same for me. In fact on one farm he introduced me to he insisted I go back the next day even though he had to work. I had just gotten my first deer rifle and he was eager for me to put some venison on the ground. That morning I texted him a photo of a fat doe I got there along with a huge Thank You. The only thing he was upset about was that he couldn't be there to experience it with me. I also shared some of my venison with him and his family (something we always tend to do anyway.) Personally, I would only hunt somebody else's "spot" if they told me it was okay. Certainly I realize bird-hunting, especially grouse, is different. I liken it too me taking someone to a very good but very secluded and hard to find section of wild trout stream. I usually don't mind if that person visits it again from time to time but not if they start bringing others.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Never had that problem, I tend to make it clear up front though, if they hesitate or don't understand we go to SGL instead. My luck probably stems from most people I host living on the opposite side of county.

I have however been accused by a complete stranger of hunting private land without the permission of the owner,which I of course had, and still do. That incident still irritates me.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

Gentlemen,
Taking somebody to your prime Grouse coverts is definitely not recommended, never take anyone to your prime Coverts,
take them to some average places for years before you show them any of your best cover. In my era it was all done by family, you never took anyone else. Now especially with all the new GPS gear, it's more than just dangerous. Most of these young guys mark covert locations, if you are not family, no cell phones or GPS equipment, if you come Grouse hunt with us. You must give your word to never return
to the locations without us, and never bring anyone along.
I will however show another Grouse hunter a mountain that I know there are Grouse on, course those mountains go on for about 10 miles, he can find his own coverts, if he is lucky and finds one of my great spots he earned it. If he ever brings some else, I never show him or her anything ever again.
A mans word is his reputation to me, break it you are done hunting with me.
Pine Creek/Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts