The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you have to boil water to take away scent? My J-hook tool keep sliding off my j hook as I'm trying to attach my earth anchors. They are all clean,dyed,waxed. I want to boil a set of pliers on the stove to close my jhooks. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think you're going to the extreme. You can't eliminate 100 percent of human scent. they go in your truck or SUV, you take them out and drop a half dozen traps on your tail gate before throwing them into your bucket, bag, or basket that you likely touched with your bare hands...Closing J hooks with a set of pliers isn't a big deal. I'd ensure they are not coated with grease or something else extra smelly. but if they're clean, it's a non issue.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
First coyote I caught last year, I remade the set bare handed the day before after a sprung trap. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">How long do you have to boil water to take away scent? </span></span>
Rip roaring boil for an hour, with Lye added. Lye will clean old or new traps. Rinse traps off of excess Lye water.

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">My J-hook tool keep sliding off my j hook as I'm trying to attach my earth anchors.</span></span>
Use bench vice to close J-hooks.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Boss Hen said:
My J-hook tool keep sliding off my j hook as I'm trying to attach my earth anchors. They are all clean,dyed,waxed. I want to boil a set of pliers on the stove to close my jhooks. Thanks
Some tools will round off in the bite area causing the J Hook to slip.
If this is one of mine I will replace it. Thank you Ron Marsh

ps shoot me a PM with the details

·
Banned
618 Posts
A guy I showed how to trap gave me a J Hook tool as a gift from Ron Marsh. I was hooked, I used it and never looked back. I do not know Ron personally, but that tool simply works.

I boil my traps at a rolling boil for an hour per batch.

·
Registered
436 Posts
never boiled and never waxed my steel; speed dip after the dishwasher when new and in the ground they go. and i've caught every PA land fur their is with them.

not saying dont do trap prep or pay attention to scent, just saying, dont get bet out of shape over it thinking its an end all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts