The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a bog pod deathgrip tripod that can tell me if they are good, bad, or just plain useless ?

i recently had the chance to use a tripod during a coyote hunt (thanks again Limbhnger10) and tripods are a game changer.

i have the info i need to purchase some really nice but expensive tripods. for now i am trying to justify those prices but they do lock up solid and its like shooting off a bench, actually saw the coyote drop in the scope, the scope never mnoved.

back to the Bog pod. i looked at one at F&S (will not buy there) the legs are solid and adjust nice. they even clamped a gun it for me. but the gun mount still moved up and down and left & right after being "locked" down, it was easy to move and it shouldnt be.

i called Bog Products and they said it had to be an older model with bad pins. i should tell F&S to send it back. i should also ask for any 2019 or newer production model. it wont have that problem. i would hate to order one and find out that it has the same problem and have to send it back.

SO...any hands experiences with this product ?

Reactions: limbhnger10

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Never had a Bod Pod but bought 2 Primos Gen 3 Trigger Sticks this past year & love them!! Got the Mono for inside blind/treestand and tripod for still hunting etc o/s blind. Rock solid quality. Shot my PA elk off the tripod. Quite a few other hunters also had the Primos.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Let us know what happens, I could be interested in getting one myself. Not as young as I used to be.:crying:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
My cousin had one of these for his daughter to use for deer hunting. A few of us shot our rifles using the bog pod to ensure we were ready for rifle season this past fall - I thought it was well-built and provided a solid rest for the shooter. The clamp is pretty nice.

I have a pair of Primos trigger sticks (mono) for various uses, and I like them a lot. My 8-year-old MY son uses one when we squirrel and rabbit hunt. He's not quite strong enough to hold up the Mossberg Youth Model 20ga on his own. Also, we use the trigger sticks when turkey hunting in the blind.....they allow you have your gun up and in the ready position for long periods of time if the shot does not present itself right away, as well as providing a solid rest.

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good info guys..Thanks. after a lot of thought and actually seeing and testing the one at Field and Stream (i wont buy there) i decided to go with this one:

BT Precision Bowl Top Tripod Bundle

it cost a lot more but i got a 20% discount, everything was still on sale from the shot show. its built for hunting and has a low center. not as high as a ball head but suppose to have the amount of movement needed to hunt. cant wait to get it and play with it.

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yep...but i saw a video from the shot show, they guy was doing pull ups from under it just to show how strong it is :)

it should give me all the movement i need with out the height of a ball head which should make the gun even sturdier. i will know next week, it was shipped today. heres the video, skip ahead to the 1:20 mark to watch him do pull ups from under the tri pod.

Reactions: flintlock hunter

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll shoot from it, but i aint gonna be doing no pull ups :)...lol

he said he weighs about 175 and i go 233. it used to be 248 but i've been going to planet fitness and doing an hour on the elliptical and another hour on the treadmill and then maybe back to the elliptical until i burn 2,000 calories.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I also go to planet fatness 2 to 4 times a week if I am home in the city but my weight is going the other way. I think I need to give up beer and pizza,

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we were designed wrong. there is a flaw in the system. burgers, fries, wings, pizza should all be health food and salads should be bad. just look at what all that green stuff does to cows !

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have the Bog-Pod Death Grip and love it, I'll use it for deer season. I also have the Trigger Stick and like it, it will be my predator calling choice. The Bog-Pod is just a little to heavy for predator hunting whereas the Trigger Stick is nice and lite. I'm sure you'll like the one you bought.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
good info guys..Thanks. after a lot of thought and actually seeing and testing the one at Field and Stream (i wont buy there) i decided to go with this one:

BT Precision Bowl Top Tripod Bundle

it cost a lot more but i got a 20% discount, everything was still on sale from the shot show. its built for hunting and has a low center. not as high as a ball head but suppose to have the amount of movement needed to hunt. cant wait to get it and play with it.
Best of luck bohunr with your new tripod!! Be sure to report back if it meets your expectations. I know my Primos more than did which was no surprise to me based upon knowing so many others who loved both models I got.

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Loggy.

the expected delivery is this Friday. as soon as it comes in i will be playing with it. if the weather and wind is right i plan on going for Predators with it. i will let everyone know how it performs and feels.

·
Registered
856 Posts
does anyone have a bog pod deathgrip tripod that can tell me if they are good, bad, or just plain useless ?

i recently had the chance to use a tripod during a coyote hunt (thanks again Limbhnger10) and tripods are a game changer.

i have the info i need to purchase some really nice but expensive tripods. for now i am trying to justify those prices but they do lock up solid and its like shooting off a bench, actually saw the coyote drop in the scope, the scope never mnoved.

back to the Bog pod. i looked at one at F&S (will not buy there) the legs are solid and adjust nice. they even clamped a gun it for me. but the gun mount still moved up and down and left & right after being "locked" down, it was easy to move and it shouldnt be.

i called Bog Products and they said it had to be an older model with bad pins. i should tell F&S to send it back. i should also ask for any 2019 or newer production model. it wont have that problem. i would hate to order one and find out that it has the same problem and have to send it back.

SO...any hands experiences with this product ?
I have 2 Caldwell tripods. That work great. Bought them for my girls to use out of the blinds and we have used them just sitting on the ground too, no blind.
I gave one to my Brother in-law this past archery season to use. He liked it. He is someone who has to have the best equipment. He went and bought a big-pod then. It was bigger then the Caldwells and looked like quality but we never talked about how he liked it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I have a Bog Pod tripod. Does anybody make a clamp attachment for it? Seems ridiculous to have to buy a whole new clamp stick.

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when i looked they didnt have any and the top doesnt come off so you cant just buy the clamp. i guess they want you to buy the whole thing. making attachments would have been a better idea.

i really like the one i got from field optics. i will be taking some photos shortly. its tall enough and really solid. the legs do sink down into the snow making it shorter than i am. but if i dig down into the snow, everything lines up again. its easy to adjust, easy to pan and the tilt is plenty, more than needed and everything locks down solidly with the tension control.

the only problem i have is the independent pan adjustment knob, its to small to use comfortably with my fat fingers. i am working on making an extension for it. its not really an issue as you can control everything with just the tension control.
its like shooting from a bench.

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats really big. nice but big. i was thinking they should make a clamp like the one on the death grip as an accessory.

when i went with limbhnger10 he brought his back up tripod for me to use. it has a rrs-vyce clamp on it. just locked the AR in that clamp and carried the tripod over my shoulder with the gun locked in the clamp. when we got to the spot, just spread the legs on the tripod and set it down. ready to go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts