The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Thanks Bob!

I thought he did pretty good with the article. He got a couple little things a little bit incorrect, like the 40 years instead of just 35 as a deputy then Game Warden, but all in all I thought it was pretty darn good article, from nothing more than a telephone interview.

There are a lot of requests for information on how to order rolling into my email this morning. Enough that Mr. Whipkey might just get a free personalized and signed copy of the book.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks Bob!

I thought he did pretty good with the article. He got a couple little things a little bit incorrect, like the 40 years instead of just 35 as a deputy then Game Warden, but all in all I thought it was pretty darn good article, from nothing more than a telephone interview.

There are a lot of requests for information on how to order rolling into my email this morning. Enough that Mr. Whipkey might just get a free personalized and signed copy of the book.

Dick Bodenhorn
You're welcome Dick.
In spite of the years-of-service error, the article provides the kind of mass exposure that will increase readership (sales).

·
Registered
26,071 Posts
Nice article, thanks for putting it up.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Super Moderator
14,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
You're welcome Dick.
In spite of the years-of-service error, the article provides the kind of mass exposure that will increase readership (sales).
Besides Mr. Whipkey doing the article it was our own member bohunr who set that wheel in motion.

Bohunr bought a book then after reading a few chapters make contact with Mr. Whipkey and suggested to him the book might make an interesting interview and article.

Thanks Bohunr!

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I saw that article this morning I finished the book last night and very impressed. The second book will be a good read as well.
Thanks for writing it Dick.
I am now going to start reading a book about my gg gpa's civil war artillery unit , Cherokee Artillery. Just got it yesterday. Will post any interesting bits in the Home of Brave forum

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
Besides Mr. Whipkey doing the article it was our own member bohunr who set that wheel in motion.

Bohunr bought a book then after reading a few chapters make contact with Mr. Whipkey and suggested to him the book might make an interesting interview and article.

Thanks Bohunr!

Dick Bodenhorn
I just KNEW Bo was good fer something! Just kidding Bo, you da man!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I saw that article this morning I finished the book last night and very impressed. The second book will be a good read as well.
Thanks for writing it Dick.
I am now going to start reading a book about my gg gpa's civil war artillery unit , Cherokee Artillery. Just got it yesterday. Will post any interesting bits in the Home of Brave forum
I just finished chapter five. It is very easy to read and quite interesting.

·
Registered
26,071 Posts
We need to bring back the thread here from several years ago, of him orchestrating the return of the eaglet back to its nest.

·
Registered
26,971 Posts

Thanks Bohunr!

Dick Bodenhorn
you are very welcome. the book is great, hard to put down, easy to read and holds your attention. i felt like i was right on that hillside with you guys when the ATV drove past.
next stop is number one on the best seller list :)

and thank you for the kind words.

·
Registered
626 Posts
We need to bring back the thread here from several years ago, of him orchestrating the return of the eaglet back to its nest.
That's right Denny - and I seem to recall a "bobcat underneath a car on main street Johnsonburg" tale as well. That might have been Game News.

·
Super Moderator
14,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
That's right Denny - and I seem to recall a "bobcat underneath a car on main street Johnsonburg" tale as well. That might have been Game News.
That one didn't make it into either book.

That one started out on a late winter day after a long period of deep snow. It was late morning on a Saturday when I got the radio call about a bobcat hiding under a car on Market Street in Johnsonburg. I wasn't too far away so it wasn't going to take long for me to get there. I told the Regional Office, when they gave me the incident, to see if neighboring WCO Doty McDowell or Wayne Hunt were on the radio and available to head toward Johnsonburg. Wayne was and headed my direction.

It only took me about ten minutes to get to Johnsonburg and find the bobcat hiding under a car on their Main Street. I figured if I could get the cat out from under the car I could haze it out of town on one of the side street.

I quickly learned that the owner of the car was part of a bridal party, was inside the nearby salon getting her hair done and was afraid to come out to her car. I went into the salon and though she refused to come outside to move her car she was very willing to give me her keys so I could move the car. When I came back out to move the car and opened the car door the bobcat took off out from under the car but instead of taking a street heading out of town he turned the first corner and headed for busy route 219 through town. I took off after him and when we got to the red traffic light on 219 he ran under a car stopped at the light. I am waving and yelling for the driver not to move. I was afraid he would run over the bobcat. But, as soon as the light changed he just started pulling away. Fortunately he didn't run over the crouched down bobcat and we were equally fortunate that all of the other stopped vehicles in both directions could see the bobcat and what was going on. They all stayed still and the cat ran the rest of the way across the highway to the store fronts nearby. I was in hot pursuit when he ducked into the alcove of a store front. I now had him cornered there unless he was going to come out past me, which I was concerned he might do.

There was a pretty good sized crown of people now on the opposite side of the street watching to see whether I or the bobcat was going to win this little contest of wills. I started yelling for someone to find and bring me an empty garbage can. After a few minutes a brave soul came around the corner with a small trash can. It certainly wasn't what I had in mind but if it was all I could come up with I was certainly going to give it a try. I laid the can on its side and slid the opening toward the cat Perfect he saw it as a place of refuge and ran right inside it. I tipped it up over him and now I had a bobcat confined under the small trash can. I once again yelled across the street and asked if someone could go to my vehicle, open the back hatch and find a feed bag in the back and bring it to me. I always had such things in my vehicle because I always believed in having anything I might need on any given day with me. Soon a guy came back with the feed bag.

I slid the open corner of the bag under the can and kept working it under the can until I had it under both the trash can and the bobcat. Then I quickly pulled the bag up over the can. Now I had the cat bagged.

That was about the time Wayne pulled in so we loaded into my vehicle to take the bobcat a ways out of town and turn him loose. Wayne set the bag on the floor between his feet and held the top of the bag closed as I drove a short distance out of town into a wooded area on one of the plowed side roads.

Once we got to a safe place we stopped got the bagged cat out and dumped him out on the plowed road. He ran a short distance and ducked under some low hanging hemlock boughs where he could hide.

He was very thin and it appeared on the verge of starvation. In fact I figure that is how he got in trouble to begin with. He probably came into town at night trying to catch something feeding under one of the many bird feeders. Then I suspect as it was getting toward morning someone scared him deeper into town and it got light out with people moving around before he could quietly escape back out of town. Then he just kept getting bumped around hiding under cars until I showed up.

I never heard anything more about him after Wayne and I turned him loose. I hope he found enough food to get him through the rest of the winter and until prey was easier for him to come by.

And, that is the bobcat in Johnsonburg story that didn't make it into the books.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stumbled here by finding a link on my Yahoo home page and doing some digging. May I get a PM with an address to send a check for a couple of copies? I believe that my account is too new to send a PM myself.

·
Super Moderator
14,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I stumbled here by finding a link on my Yahoo home page and doing some digging. May I get a PM with an address to send a check for a couple of copies? I believe that my account is too new to send a PM myself.
I sent you a PM on how to order the book.

I think you are able to use PMs as soon as you are registered. To send a PM just click on the person's picture or log in name and it should take you to new page with information about them. You have to look around that page a bit but there should be a place that says "Start conversation", click on that and it will bring up another page. Put a subject title then drop down to where you can type in your message. When you are finished with your message click on the send or start conversation tab below what you typed and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the HPA site!

You will soon have the various features and functions figured out but if you have questions about the site just ask and someone will be happy to help.

Dick Bodenhorn

121 - 140 of 162 Posts