The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BOC is considering moving archery bear up a week and run that season concurrent with the last week of archery deer.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think they should have created an archery bear stamp way back when. Missed revenue opportunity.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'd buy a bear tag for that opportunity. With only so much time to get away from home to make the 5 hour drive to camp deer archery and rifle season is what I focus on. Adding bear archery into the last week of archery would be pretty cool and I would buy a tag. Otherwise I have no intentions of buying a bear tag since the season doesnt fit into the time I have available to go to camp. I dont think archery bear in the last week of archery would impact my archery hunt at all.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Primitive bear season permit?

No need - like the archery bear season - only need a bear stamp. Just need the weapon added to the lawful use side of the ledger.

Might as well give the flinters the last week of archery deer to hunt rutting bucks as well.

Can't add days or weeks to the year - only 365 days. So we need so share the seasons.

Absolutely no reason not to do this. If they fear impact to the deer - shorten the season by a week so others can participate.

Talking flintlocks only.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need - like the archery bear season - only need a bear stamp. Just need the weapon added to the lawful use side of the ledger.

We have an agency looking for ways to up revenue. The BOC "conveniently" overlooked the archery bear season as a source for a new permit...one that they could create without legislative approval no less. They gave it to archery for free...and then down the road declared the October ML week being a free ride requiring a price increase.

Not that I'm completely opposed to an ML increase, but the BOC seriously needs to start pricing those two seasons based on something solid.....and emotional politics isn't it.

This subject wasn't the purpose of why I started the thread.

Moving the archery bear season to the last week of archery deer is said will result with a higher archery bear kill. No one has a pro/con opinion?

Will this allow the rifle bear season to be moved up a week? Pro/con?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I think they would still make more money without a separate stamp. Because more archers will buy a bear tag if the chance is there to shoot a bear. Ever since they added bear to the first week of buck, all my buddies get a bear tag every year. Half of them have ever seen a bear in the woods and none of them ever hunt the traditional bear season. They spend the extra money for that 1% chance.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
The time of year we hunt bear now, the relatively short seasons and the no bait or no dog hunting means we have very low harvests as it is. Even with the huge drives that people put on, what is the success rate in PA? Like 3%? In Maine and Canada, they have a long season with any weapons and they use bait and dogs. They still have plenty of bears.

What kind of harvest numbers do you think we could withstand?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
We have an agency looking for ways to up revenue. The BOC "conveniently" overlooked the archery bear season as a source for a new permit...one that they could create without legislative approval no less. They gave it to archery for free...and then down the road declared the October ML week being a free ride requiring a price increase.

Not that I'm completely opposed to an ML increase, but the BOC seriously needs to start pricing those two seasons based on something solid.....and emotional politics isn't it.

This subject wasn't the purpose of why I started the thread.

Moving the archery bear season to the last week of archery deer is said will result with a higher archery bear kill. No one has a pro/con opinion?

Will this allow the rifle bear season to be moved up a week? Pro/con?
Yes agree, want more money from us? Give us more product it business. This agency has sat around and got passed up by other states with an arrogant attitude. It needs some new programs like this to move forward and hunters will support it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts

wouldn't bother me a bit to take the harvest up 3X over what it is now. Why not try it ?? If it is seen to reduce bear damage claims too much, then the BOC could change it back next year to get the number of damage complaints back up where they're comfortable with them.

Why does it need to be set in stone forever ?? Try it. Maybe it's something you can only do every other or every third year. Since all bears must be checked.............make it a quota hunt. When the desired quota is reached............the season is over. Easy to have a daily posting on the PGC website to update the season status.

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
ya know...i really dont know why folks complain about damage from wildlife.

just sell that home in the country and move back into the city. there ya go, problem solved.

no more damage from the critters whose home got bulldozed so people could build that nice home in the country for them

waaa, the deer ate my shrub, waaaa, the bears in my garbage...WAAAAAA

good grief.

hey lets all pay more for our licenses and have the seasons extended so we can get a chance to kill what ever deer and bear are left in PA

lets go kill, kill, kill all we can find.

Reactions: pappybear

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The time of year we hunt bear now, the relatively short seasons and the no bait or no dog hunting means we have very low harvests as it is. Even with the huge drives that people put on, what is the success rate in PA? Like 3%? In Maine and Canada, they have a long season with any weapons and they use bait and dogs. They still have plenty of bears.

Maine sells a little over 10,000 bear permits a year. Their 26-30% success rate still keeps the harvest numbers below those of Pennsylvania. This year Pennsylvania sold more than 175,000.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
ya know...i really dont know why folks complain about damage from wildlife.

just sell that home in the country and move back into the city. there ya go, problem solved.

no more damage from the critters whose home got bulldozed so people could build that nice home in the country for them

waaa, the deer ate my shrub, waaaa, the bears in my garbage...WAAAAAA

good grief.

hey lets all pay more for our licenses and have the seasons extended so we can get a chance to kill what ever deer and bear are left in PA

lets go kill, kill, kill all we can find.
Evidently the reason you don't know is you don't make any part of your living off of your land. Just guessing. But guessing I'm right.

We bulldozed the animals' homes to build ours because WE scratched OUR way to the top of the food chain. Not them. Anyone who wants to wishes to live in a 100 story highrise in downtown wherever is more than welcome to. If you live in a place that displaced zero wildlife, then I am proud of your accomplishment.

But move into the real, rural world and labor over a crop only to have it destroyed.................at a significant loss of time and money............ I'll give you "WAAAAAA"................. A close friend of mine farms as his only source of income. He estimates that this year he lost +/- $80,000 to deer and bear damage !!!!!!!! Tell HIM "WAAAAAA"........... We don't lose anywhere NEAR that in Christmas trees. But it's a $20 - $75 loss for each tree that gets destroyed.

We have more bears than we really need. We manage our deer as best we can to our carrying capacity. No reason to not do the same with bears.

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
thats fine on private property where farming (income) is impacted. however if an individual just builds a house in the country they really shouldnt be complaining about wildlife eating their shrubbery. Farmers are a different story altogether, they have a legitimate gripe.

Farmers that have wildlife causing that much damage to the crops should open their land to hunters. they can control the number of hunters thru a signed permission slip and posting the property "hunting by written permission only"

they should think about enrolling in red tag also. I hunt a farm that has 600 acres, mixture of corn, soybean and woods. he also taps the trees for maple syrup. plenty of deer, turkey and a few bear.

even enrolls in red tag and still has deer. good maple syrup too, better than store bought.

i also have permission to hunt predators as he wants all the corn raiding raccoons gone.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
This fellow is corn, beans and hay.

He picks 900 acres of corn, alone. His problem, deer-wise, is not that HE doesn't allow hunting. It's neighboring properties that are locked down and just FULL of deer.

As for the bears................ why NOT try something different ??

·
Registered
242 Posts
I really don't think moving archery bear up a week would be a big deal. Maybe anther 150 to 500 more off the harvest for the early season. Not a big fan of moving it up but worth giving it a shot for a year. Think it'll give to many guys more opportunities to poach. But also gives guys a chance at harvesting a bear they probably would not have got a shot at. I would like to see a quota hunt though. It'll take way longer to get the population back if it takes a big hit.

For a revenue stand point separate stamp would be best for archery.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't agree with this at all. In my area of Clinton county, the big crews drive for bear that whole week of archery. That would really screw up the last week of archery for the deer hunters. In addition to the added bear killed, you would have added deer killed also. Would you be happy if you took that week off to hunt the rut just to have a crew come through and drive off the entire mountain?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Why would an earlier season increase poaching?
You know because they are going to change something and expand opportunity. So when that happens all the poachers come out.

In all seriousness, I have no idea how a change in the season would increase poaching.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts