The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that they have decided to close the quail season in PA and state that hunters can release captive raised quail by permit correct. My question is will there be a fee for the permit, how long to get one, from who wco or office. Or will they be like chukars and stock and shoot whenever? I raised chukars this year and was planning on raising bobwhites next year until i read about the season closing.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is still a proposal and no one will now the answers till it passes as a regulation. I don't see how they will issue a permit to put them out and shoot them since there will be no season. You can only put out pheasants and shoot them in open season and then according to bag limits. Since there will not be a season or bag limits it wouldn't make sense to allow shooting of them outside a regulated hunting grounds.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
kinda seems like such a reg would bone most folks training bird dogs however I heard roumer that folks already shoot quail in areas listed as having no open season on quail whils training dogs seemes to me
intelligent regs would include provisions of some kind for dog training "Just saying" lets hope for some win -- win regs

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not really, I used quail to train my pup, I just didn't shoot them. When it came time to shoot birds I used chukars.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
If you were able to watch the staff reports online, the biologists stated that they want to create a restoration plan for Quail. One part of that is to stop releasing pen raised birds. It has the potential to damage the genes of wild quail.

His report was very long and detailed. I think, though long, that you have a very good understanding of the issues surrounding any species he talks about. Bobwhite Quail were once prevalent across the state. Right now, thanks to the Christmas Bird Count, they know that there are only several small pockets left state wide (remember the yellow dots!).

The plan is to place them on the endangered list. Not the threatened list - endangered. This restoration plan is under construction, details to follow as it is available.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. I was looking forward to raising bobwhite this upcoming year but i guess i may be stuck with chukars. I really wasnt crazy about them this year. My pen isnt that big so i like the smaller birds to maximize my space. I personally have never seen a wild quail in NW PA.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you want good flying chukars you need a big flight pen so they can exercise teir wing muscles. When I started hunting we had quail in Lebanon Co. No more.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't think I ever encountered a wild quail in all my years of hunting. Shame the population is just about gone.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Back in the 30s my grandfather used to get a quail trap and winter permit from the PGC. They would trap them and put them in cornshock shelters and feed them over winter on his ground, then open it up in the spring and release them.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I wish the presentation by staff were avalable on the net! Some of this stuff is a real eye opener and highly informative.

All the staff reports need to be available on the GC site until the next report.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts