The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I kill a bobcat on my farm during season without a bobcat tag? I am legal to kill a deer on my farm with a farm tag and was wondering if the same was true for bobcats.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Contact your district office.Bobcats are allowed to be hunted by permit so it may be for reporting purposes.You may have to get a permit.I do not think they cost very much.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are bobcats different than deer or bear? If I make my living off the farm I don't need a tag to harvest them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
So you are saying you can kill a bear without a tag.

Are these bobcats affecting your livelihood, causing crop damage or are you just too cheap to buy a license?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Now that they have opened it to everyone I don't see why you should not be allowed to, but remember jj(.5?), this is PA.....

mtncur -- yep, he can.

·
Registered
25,155 Posts
A farmer can hunt his own land and land adjacent to his property without a license.

If the farmer wants to travel to other lands he must obtain a license.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could be right maybe I'm cheap but I thought I was being frugal, I'm not sure where frugal ends and cheap begins but maybe you could inform me. If I don't have to buy a bobcat tag to kill one why would I? By law I don't need to buy a regular hunting lic. but I do to support the PGC. Between that and feeding all the wildlife I have off our crops for the last thirty years that is all the donation I wish to make.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Bobcats are hunted and trapped with a "special permit" in conjunction with a furtakers license. The exemption for farmers does not inclde special permits. Hunting elk requires an elk license but the exemption to farmers does not apply to elk as law below specifies. Sec 2706 is where farmers are exempt from needing a license.

15) Elk hunting license to persons eligible for classes of licenses in paragraphs (1), (2), (3), (7), (7.1), (8), (9) and (11.1). Notwithstanding any other provisions of this title or the regulations promulgated thereunder, elk licenses under this paragraph shall not be subject to the provisions of section 2706 (relating to resident license and fee exemptions) and 2706.1 (relating to complimentary nonresident licenses). To ensure sound management of Pennsylvania's wild elk population, the commission may promulgate regulations to establish a limited number of licenses. The commission may establish a nonrefundable application fee at a cost of $10.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
If he needs to have a permit then he would also have to follow the season regs. correct John?

Dec. 18-Jan. 8 for hunters and Dec. 18-Jan. 9, 2011, for trappers.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nope, it is a license approved nd the fee set by he general assembly.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Didn't realize you could kill bears with out a tag on your own land. I guess they do cause crop damage. I just never thought of hunting something without a tag. I guess I learned something new today.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
timberdoodle said:
Not a matter of just owning land and hunting. You do have to make your main living from the land
The last two years on dairy farms have been so bad I'm not sure you can call it makin a livin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts