The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 6 pics of a bobcat while on a bear drive .If some one could post 1 of the pics for me ill follow with the story......

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So its Monday at about 2pm ...we decide to do drive #4.Its a REALLY steep stretch along the river in tionesta,so the posters are set and after a walk up a valley and up the left side of it we start driving I planned on taking the very top ridge position but due to the steepness and laurrel being so thick ,I gave up my spot cuase I`m a glutton......About 1/2 way through about lets say 1/4 mile I managed to come up on a narrow ledge about 8ft by 8ft and saw brown ...at first I thought coyote and soon realized BOBCAT ,At less than 3 yards.... I have no reason why he was still there between 7 guys hootn n hollarn accross that face,but there he was frozen in that very position, I managed to get out my cell and take 6 pictures of him, every one in that same position,he never even moved an eyelash.So here i am 6-7feet from him asking him are you ok why are you still layin here? I could barely see he was breathing , and tossed a small twig at him, NOTHING.Then another NOTHING.not even a twitch..after about maybe 1.5 minutes of me taking pics, talking to him and tossin SMALL twigs at him He stands up. I take a step back not knowin what was gonna happen next, he just looks at me takes 2 steps and stops I wanted a pic of him standing but never got it .He slowly climbed up the mountain stoping several times within 10 yards and lookin back.....I spend alot of time in the woods all over the Us and ive seen some pretty cool things but that experience was definately one of the coolest, that I `ll never forget CAUSE I got the pics. TRUELY a once in a lifetime event that makes me glad to be an outdoorsman....

·
Banned
234 Posts
When he left, did he look healthy Elk? Sounds like maybe he was a really old cat or sick maybe? Doesn't sound normal. I have ran into a few of those guys and let me tell you, they usually don't hang around long! I have seen where they will just sneak off sometimes, but usually long before you get that close! I would have figured he wouldve hit you with leaves and twigs peeling out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did not look sick to me but IM no vet....no injuries no scuffs on the fur,it looked good.Maybe sleepin and got suprised ? WHO knows .was all brown no other coloring except for a black end on the tail...MAYBE a YOUNG one?Marked it on the GPS and im gona go back in jan.There were some huge rocks,as big as a small house maybe he lives there?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Your welcome. Cool story.

I heard a similar story from a friend about a guy happening upon one just the way you did. This was in 2d though. The cat wasn't in a hurry too leave.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Awesome pic Elk Dog! John sent me that pic and it was hard for me to believe. Just as cool as whackin a bear!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts