The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to catch a bobcat in a CR ( accidentally of course, my CR's are set for coyote but you never know), and legally have a bobcat license, be in the right WMU. Can I legally keep take the bobcat or does it have to be left go. I asked this question at my CR class but the instructor couldn't tell me yes or no for sure.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
since your allowed to keep any legal non- target animals.
and since you have a cat tag. i guess it would be ok.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are allowed to keep legal non target species caught in a lawful device, CRs are not a lawful device for cats so I would say no, but he should call the PGC bureau of Wildlife Protection in Hbg and get the definitive answer.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
but a coon is not allowed to be caught in a cr and I am pretty sure you can keep that non target catch. what is the difference john? I don't mean this as smart alack remark just wondering is all.

if a cat is caught in a cable restraint it will probably be dead by the time you get to him. it is known by most trappers that a cat has a soft throat and is easily choked out. if it ain't dead by the time he gets to it then it will probably die shortly thereafter it is released.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Title 58, § 141.66. Cable restraints.
(a) Cable restraint devices may be used from January 1 until the end of the established trapping season to harvest red fox, gray fox and coyote. Nontarget furbearing species incidentally captured in a cable restraint device during an open season for that species may be taken and utilized, provided the trapper possesses an applicable licenses and permits.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
OK, there it is, it is legal. That is why I said to make a call, lot of changes .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts