The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying pretty hard to call in a cat. I know they are in the areas I'm calling because I've trapped them there in the past. I decided this year to try and call one in instead of trapping it but now I'm regretting that decision! I am seeing tracks but not having any response to my calls. I think I know why Foxpro calls their one sound "lucky bird"..because its the only bird that can become distressed for half an hour at a time in an area littered with predator tracks and not one predator will come and try to finish it off! As a final insult I had a bobcat run across the road in front of me last night on my way home from work. Luckily for the cat he was about a half mile into NY state and I couldnt go after him. Is there anyone out there that has had some sort of consistent success with cats?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I switch sounds every couple minutes and also i play my foxpro at 1/4 volume and make 20 mins stands every 100 or so yds. Its paid off in the past. Usually i wait for 5 minutes after turning the call off as well before i move.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
if it was easy, there wouldn't be any cats left in PA

Most years I have a lot of success calling in cats and we don't shoot more than 1 per spot, in order to keep the population up and pressure down. sounds like maybe you are hunting a spot where they have a reason to be concerned (trapped them there in the past). I'd say move and find a new area with them and you will be surprised with the results.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just wait and be patient cats don't run in real quick like fox or yotes do.They take there time and investigate the area first. Usually around the edges.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like Ben also make 20 minute or so stands and will use high pitched frantic bird sounds. I play one for 5 minutes then switch so in a 20 minute stand I'll use 4 sounds. And remember don't give up the hunt just because you turned the call off.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried several areas and all of them have heavy sign. I dont like not knowing why I'm not getting the desired results...if I was turkey hunting and not calling any in I'd know it was the turkeys. I dont know if I'm not having success here because of my strategy or if its just cats being cats.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I think it is just hunting being hunting.
I mean it is the same as the guy who smokes in stand, in his full orange jump suit coughing and hacking, yet shoots a big buck every year from the same rock.
Or the guy you fish with that always catches all the fish, even though you are using identical technique/gear etc.

sometimes it just doesn't have anything at all to do with you or your techniques, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I also tend to setup in areas where visibility is only 40 yds max. They love to sit back and watch instead of coming in so if you can see 40 yds so can they and they blend so well you might not ever see them. I am a strickler for movemnet on stand during the day. Get settled in and hardly no movement at all scan with your eyes. Act as if a big buck just nailed you and your afraid to move. They pick movement up quick. Their movement is methodical as well. Nothing of a coyote or fox. They are definately a unique animal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts