The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna concentrate on catching my first bobcat this year since prices are down on everything. Just wondering what lures and baits work for everyone on bobcats.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I stay away from baits , make a dirt hole with the hole being about the size of my fist , smear some castor on some wool and put it down the hole

·
Registered
626 Posts
speaking from 0 experience here but a friend of mine and long time trapper said raccoon meat works 9 times out of 10

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
cats can be caught on anything that will catch most other critters. they hunt with their eyes more than canines so you need to be on location with your set. A flashy dirt hole like dietsch said in the travel path of a cat is deadly. that being said i have also caught plenty in flat sets on log roads because the set was right in their path.
worry about finding the cat and where it is traveling. the set and lure are secondary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As stated above, don't worry to much about bait. Even the ones I catch in Feb in coyote sets are still nice and fat.
Caven's yodel dog works great for me.(Its my #1 choice) I make a lot of flat and post sets. Use mostly coyote urine until the last week of the season. Then I switch to cat. I do use cat gland lures mixed in here and there. John Graham's Tomcat and Bad Lands Bob. I also like Kichel's Cross breed and Triple Dig It.
Have caught only a few on baited sets.
If you want Bobcats go to the clear cuts in the woods.(set traps on the old logging roads as stated above) That's where the mice, grouse, rabbits, and other tastey things for cats live. SCOUT!!!!! FIND TRACKS AND DROPPINGS!!! Remember that spot, set traps there!!! I would use flat, post, dirt holes, and whatever set you want to try. Use flashing and don't use flashing. Competition???? If so then better stick to flat and post sets blended in. And use either drags or earth anchors with "J" hooks welded shut. Won't stop them from stealing your cat but you might still have a trap. I use about 85% drags on my line. Cats only get about 20 or less most of the time, but I trap clear cuts.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ive caught many cats using no bait no lure no urine, just put a trap where a cat is gonna step. they are as easy to blind set as a muskrat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts