The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to repair a soft spot in my old fiberglass boat. the repair area is 3ft X 21inches. I am looking for some type of coating to paint on the boat floor to hide the repair. I plan on coating the entire floor with the coating. Would like something light in color and skid resistant. Any suggestions? I did look into the stuff Home Depot sells to restore decks but that is not to be used on fiberglass.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
they make a regular marine "coating" but you probably will have to get it at a marine supply place. try Overton's

·
Registered
614 Posts
How about aerosol cans of truck bed liner,can be had from the auto parts store. Yes it is black but after it is applied and dried you could paint it any color paint you like. If the coating is not rough enough, you can add anti-skid sold in the paint dept. at Lowes or Home Depot to the paint that you apply .

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Lowes sells marine top coat paint by the quart. Goes on nice with a roller.

Several colors.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You do not want a black floor in a boat. The sun heats it up to very high heat.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys. I thought about the spray on truck bed liner and then painting it but I don't know if that can be used on fiberglass. I will have to look at Lowes for the marine to coat.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Gel coat if that's what your has, most of them do. It's more labor intensive but it will look new if done right.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Try some Tuff Coat from Cabelas. I did this a few years back on a tri-hull referb that I did. Worked out very well and looked like a new boat when I was done. You will need to prep the surface and prime before you spray. It also comes in many colors and is non skid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts