The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shopping around for a used boat for the past couple of weeks, as with anything when I see a boat I check the price against book value, kinda shocked that it seems just about everyone is asking for almost 2xs book value, and for junk no less, for example 1989 skeeter bass boat, book value 1930, guy wants 6500 SMH!! I guess if someone will buy it for that price more power to him.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
a lot of people will put high value on the "extras" that they throw in
ie: vests, rod holders, motor(which actually could increase value), oars, anchors, etc.... Best to find a boat sitting in a yard with a for sale sign and a coating of road dust..........then you know they will just want to get rid of it

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
hold off until September and the prices will come down.

What people are asking and what prices they end up selling for is a wide spread. When buying a boat, the money is in the engine.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Its the same with cars, motorcycles, etc. The motivation to sell often dictates the price. Negociating is an art that is learned. Also, the personality of the seller plays a lot into the deal. Some guys have every penny they put into the item calculated, and they want it all back, which rarely ever happens. As a lover of the deal, and buying and selling for profit, you have to look at it as a game. You have to learn to just walk away from a seller who is out in left field with their price. These are the guys whose item goes unsold, sometimes for years. The biggest example I can think of is Kelley Blue Book for cars. Everyone selling likes to quote KBB, when almost all car dealers do not use it for pricing. Keep looking, you will find a deal !

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard that!! I was just kind of shocked at first. I asked the guy I used as an example if he would buy a car for 3xs the book value, he just hung up
I hesitated to pull the trigger on a really nice Nitro and lost out on it, kicking myself in the butt for that, it was only 600 over book.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When buying a boat the biggest factor in the price in my eyes will not come the book value but how they maintained it. Something about throwing metal moving parts in water, stuff has a tendency to go kablooey pretty quick if the proper steps are not taken. And with any boat you generally have 3 main areas to look at. First the motor, then the boat, and then the trailer. Just because it looks nice and shiny doesn't mean it was taken care of properly either. My 63 whaler doesn't look great but I'll take it 10 miles out the inlet with no hesitation.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, I willing to spend much more than book for the right boat, especially one that has a new or rebuilt motor or drives on it.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
This is the wrong time of year. Sept thru feb. When noone is thinking about boats. Sept-oct is best.
Ive gotten boats free already. Granted they needed work but i turned around and sold two. Still have two.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Know what you are going through.
I can get a new left over 2012 Lowe bass boat with everything on it for $9200.

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
Know what you are going through.
I can get a new left over 2012 Lowe bass boat with everything on it for $9200.
cant go wrong with a Lowe!!

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Boston Whaler BB values are crazy, the real values are really crazy. I know as I haved own many but none now as the prices are thru the roof, especially for the older ones which I love. I also agree buy between Sept and spring. That is when I will start looking. Too many people want their money back or make a few bucks. I don`t blame them, but they won`t get it from me. Too many boats out there. I stay away from anything saltwater though. That can be a problem at times with Boston Whalers, especially the trailers and motors. Sun and salt also damages the boats them selves. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on a saltwater boat by buying one without the outboard and maybe they took care of the boat and it sits on a newer trailer, but you have to be vigalent.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Any boat that you can chainsaw in half and still drive away is worth the money in my book! In harrisburg there was an 80's Montauk that had a running motor and trailer that was on CL for 1700 bucks but if I drag home another boat my wife will kill me in my sleep, probably with my own gun too haha.

Good point about saltwater, especially if the person wasn't fanatically religious about hosing everything off and flushing the engine. One tip I would say is to take a compression gauge with you to test the engine, especially if you are looking at something with a 2-smoke motor! People always try to recoup money from their boat but its an expensive hobby and alot of people don't realize that. You know what they say boat stands for....Break Out Another Thousand haha.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
My boat is a 92 with a 92 evinrude 2 stroke 25 on it. If I sold it next spring Id take no less than $4500 for it

This year its had..

Two new fish finders
All fuel lines replaced
Carb rebuilt
Fuel pump rebuilt
Livewell timer installed
Two new batteries
Bunk slicks
New Tires and Aluminum Rims
New hubs & bearings
Trailer new paint job less than a month ago
Led's inside
Brand new fitted cover
New plugs, Wires and a Coil
Hand sanded with steel wool and hand polished
impeller

i run full synthetic fluids everywhere from the bearings to the lower unit.

Next spring it will get new carpet

I bought it for $3k and thats not great but not horrible for a tracker. The fact it has a 25 on the back means it can go a lot of places. A 25 looks no different than a 20.

Someone comes and looks at it and doesnt wanna pay that price, thats fine because theres enough guys who have looked at enough GARBAGE for half its price who will pay it. Its immaculate for its age.

An outboard can easily go 40 years with proper maintenance and no rebuild.

Heres my check list I wrote awhile back for someone else. On used boats

If I were going into it today this is things I would check

Iginition coils for signs of burn out(this can get to be a nightmare)

Replaced spark plug wires(just like a car, they need maintence)

Cylinder heads, look for fuel running out of the plug holes(tells me that its likely not adjusted properly)(ignore if EFI)

Compression(no brainer)
Fuel lines(you can replace these for next to nothing, anyone who cares about their boat will replace them)

Wrench marks on the bolts of the lower unit(tells me if he ever changed out the impeller)

Trailer Tires and Bearings(Need to be able to transport it)

Prop conditions(nicked up props make for bad performance, think of hanging a half oz weight on a ceiling fan running full bore)

Do the pumps work, bilge and livewell

Do all the fish finders work

If I see any sign of neglect in the motor, forget it, thats where most of the value is. The rest we can start whackn money off the price to fix issues. I also want an on the water ride that lasts half a day. I wanna see the motor start cold, I wanna see the motor run its guts out for a half an hour then shut it off, fish run it hard again and so forth. Some motors will purr like a kitten on muffs and do a face dive on the water.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought a 89 skeeter yesterday for 4gs, needs the carpeting replaced and seats reupulstered, some rewiring. Haul and deck are in good shape, the huges plus's are the motor was rebuilt last year, has over 1000 bucks ib newer fish finders, newer trolling motor and new batteries.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Its all about the motor first. Everything else is second. But still important. A major investment. Never take the owners word for anything. Not sayin they try to get over on u. But most believe their boat runs perfect. Finding a well maintained boat is key. Be patient and never settle. If somthing don't feel rite pass on it. Test drive the boat on the water. Cold start. Feel motor to be sure. And have a pro check it out. May cost a little but could save you a ton. I wouldn't pay book price for any boat today. So many deals out there.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
jlh42581 said:
My boat is a 92 with a 92 evinrude 2 stroke 25 on it. If I sold it next spring Id take no less than $4500 for it

This year its had..

Two new fish finders
All fuel lines replaced
Carb rebuilt
Fuel pump rebuilt
Livewell timer installed
Two new batteries
Bunk slicks
New Tires and Aluminum Rims
New hubs & bearings
Trailer new paint job less than a month ago
Led's inside
Brand new fitted cover
New plugs, Wires and a Coil
Hand sanded with steel wool and hand polished
impeller

i run full synthetic fluids everywhere from the bearings to the lower unit.

Next spring it will get new carpet

I bought it for $3k and thats not great but not horrible for a tracker. The fact it has a 25 on the back means it can go a lot of places. A 25 looks no different than a 20.

Someone comes and looks at it and doesnt wanna pay that price, thats fine because theres enough guys who have looked at enough GARBAGE for half its price who will pay it. Its immaculate for its age.

An outboard can easily go 40 years with proper maintenance and no rebuild.

Heres my check list I wrote awhile back for someone else. On used boats

If I were going into it today this is things I would check

Iginition coils for signs of burn out(this can get to be a nightmare)

Replaced spark plug wires(just like a car, they need maintence)

Cylinder heads, look for fuel running out of the plug holes(tells me that its likely not adjusted properly)(ignore if EFI)

Compression(no brainer)
Fuel lines(you can replace these for next to nothing, anyone who cares about their boat will replace them)

Wrench marks on the bolts of the lower unit(tells me if he ever changed out the impeller)

Trailer Tires and Bearings(Need to be able to transport it)

Prop conditions(nicked up props make for bad performance, think of hanging a half oz weight on a ceiling fan running full bore)

Do the pumps work, bilge and livewell

Do all the fish finders work

If I see any sign of neglect in the motor, forget it, thats where most of the value is. The rest we can start whackn money off the price to fix issues. I also want an on the water ride that lasts half a day. I wanna see the motor start cold, I wanna see the motor run its guts out for a half an hour then shut it off, fish run it hard again and so forth. Some motors will purr like a kitten on muffs and do a face dive on the water.

What he said. Spot on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts