The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
That would depend on a lot of variables such as bottom, type and size of boat, lake or tidal water and how your hauling that sucker back up again.

What I learned about anchoring over the years was I should have tied that fifth one to my mother-in-law.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
How big is the boat you want to anchor? small boats 12, 14 ft etc many use mushroom anchors, however, they don't hold on rocky bottoms so a danforth or grapple or similar should be used, for larger boats a danforth or plow. No matter which anchor you use you should use a chain between the anchor and the rode (rope) and you should have more rode than you think you will need, 7 times the water depth, 10 times in bad weather.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If it's on an inland lake go to the local garage and get yourself a bad rotor from a car or a truck for a bigger boat, usually free for the taking. Add a bolt, chain, and nut. Strip the treads on the bolt and you have an anchor that will hold in but the really really worst weather. The one I'm using is going on 10 years.

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
If I'm fishing next to a jetty for weakies, stripers or tog I have a couple anchors I made out of rebar, so if it gets hung up I just get as much line back as possible then snip....snip your on the way.
My main anchor is a 13 lb danforth with a 6' piece of 7/16" chain and 300' of 1/2 nylon line. I also keep another length I can shackle to the main line if I need more scope or lose the main anchor.
Unless you have a small boat I would stay away from the Polypropylene ropes, it floats, is not good when constantly exposed to the sun and will give you a nasty burn if it slips through your hands.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I fish the Allegheny in a 17 foot runabout. The mushrooms and grapples are worthless below a dam.

On the advice of a buddy I got a Digger. Holds like nutz and is 99.9999999999% impossible to hang, stick or lose.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Ive made a few of these and they hold well in rocky bottoms.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I use a heavy drill bit off of a drilling rig........it has chain welded onto it, that the rope is attached to......it works quite well

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Helps keep the tines down where they need to be on my anchor. Helps when you dont put out a ton of line in the current as well.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
used railroad plates for years. seen many anchor ropes get cut with claw type anchors. old window weights work good too. I've seen milk jugs filled with sand as well.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
we use the commercial version of the homemade one Big Ben posted a pic of. They're called a Richter anchor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts