The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Board of Commissioners today gave final approval to sweeping changes to black bear seasons for 2010-11. Included in those changes are a statewide five-day archery bear season (Nov. 15-19), and a three-day statewide bear season that will open on Saturday, Nov. 20, and then continue on Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 22 and 23. The Board also eliminated all extended bear seasons that previously were held during all or portions of the first week of the firearms deer season.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mixed feelings on my part.

On the one hand, I'll be able to hunt all three days this year rather than Monday and Tuesday as in the past.

There will probably be a lot more hunters on Saturday and a lot less Monday and Tuesday.

Remains to be seen how it will affect the total bear kill.

I tend to be very traditional, but our current bear season model is not that old. When I first started hunting in the 60's, bear were open the entire week of Thanksgiving including Saturday after.

A week for archery bear seems a bit much, given how difficult getting one that way without baiting would be.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i have mixed feelings myself. i guess we have to go with the flow. i am really looking at retiring from hunting, it won't be the same in years to come and so i need another hobby. anymore the pgc don't listen to the hunters. we just continue to buy hunting license and take what they give. that's just me
<--- that's funny

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
The change is season will only cost me the last day of turkey.
Not really happy about the archery bear being 5 days but I guess this is where the crossbows will win out.
I am happy to see the extended seasons have been eliminated, for now anyhow.

Hopefully the bear harvest is something they will keep a sharp eye on and tweak it each season, not leave it in for a 3 or 5 year stretch, bu then if its wrong could be to late.

No matter what the changes are I will continue hunting until my body can no longer participate.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Not happy at all about this - screws up everything... I really like the feeling you had when mountain hunting the extended season knowing you could shoot a bear or buck at any moment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are those dates listed above the only times bears can be hunted in PA? I would like to see my girlfriend get into big game hunting. She is a good hunter, but just does small game mostly being squirrels right now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The change to a sat opener for regular season realy screwed my plans for this year. Work days that weekend and then off mon-wed so was planning on heading to camp sunday after work and hunting all three days. Guess I just get to hunt two days instead of three....oh well at least I will be hunting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe it's time to give up Pa.Hunting, I have no problem with people that want to Archery Hunt if that's what they enjoy. It dosn't trip my trigger I like Gun Hunting and the Fee's keep going up with less opportunity for the Rifle hunter. Adjust fee's to allow for Per Capita days afield.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Will give a lil more of breather in gettin bak home Weds for Thanksgiving & headin bak up for buck season!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i dont know how it will work. with the sat start there will def be more guys out on sat. which could be bad in some areas and good in some. more guys will keep them moving but if you have them scouted out someone could move them out. it wont bother me were we hunt i only see 3 or 4 other guys in three days. i will still hunt all three days it just means i can take friday off now and have two and a half weeks off lol. hope to get one this year seen on last season but could not get a clean shot sucked that was the first one i have seen hunting.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Loggy said:
Will give a lil more of breather in gettin bak home Weds for Thanksgiving & headin bak up for buck season!!
So much for that idea, huh!!

Any word on the "sweeping changes" for this coming season?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I got a bear license since I was going to be in Potter, 3A for first week of deer so guess I can now use it to wipe you know what!

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
rflktrman said:
I got a bear license since I was going to be in Potter, 3A for first week of deer so guess I can now use it to wipe you know what!
That change was made over a year ago. Was effective last deer season. Did you use your bear tag to wipe last year too? And you purchased another one this year to wipe with?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Nah this is first bear license I have purchased. Use Charmin mostly for wiping and now will have a little yellow paper too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts