The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna attempt this and don't want to use the birchwood casey stuff at the usual spots. Before anyone tries....NO, I don't want it browned either!!
LOL!
Ran across a video on youtube showing a guy doing it and it did not look too bad.
So, what has anyone used here?
What should I stay away from?
Why not blue the inside of the barrel?

I think of some more questions....

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes I have used it and it was easy for me,just make sure the barrel is clean and wipe it down with alcohol and put a wood dowel in the barrel to hold it so your fingers don't touch it.Do not blue the inside there is no use to and it would just burn out,you want a shinny bore.

·
Registered
850 Posts
if you use laurel mountain forge browning solution,you biol parts after carding rust scale off,repeat application with solution.just keep repeating steps you can make it blue or black.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where do you buy it at?

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what did you use?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Jester
I used Birchwood Casey,Perma Blue,and I got it at Wal-mart,I have seen it in sports shop too. I have use it alot and never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
jim stemler said:
if you use laurel mountain forge browning solution,you biol parts after carding rust scale off,repeat application with solution.just keep repeating steps you can make it blue or black.
I can say it works but use distill water

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Retiredusne8.....nice job! looks good!

Jester------You don't want to blue the inside of any barrel. Ever. Blueing is nothing more than doing a "Controlled rusting" of the metal. And you would never want to have rust of any kind in the bore of your gun.

Dave

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gonna try the Laurel Mt forge with distilled water. Thanks for the info and tips guys. I have a trapper pistol kit and just bought a used Lyman trade rifle. It will be the experimental project then on to the pistol parts later. I really hoping to catch on to this and be able to putter with some of my other toys but........I'll not be attempting any work on "My Girl" until after I get the hang of it. I'll keep ya updated.

Anyone know where I can buy over the counter? I live in western PA, working today in Harrisburg area and will be back out east here during the week of the sports show. Gonna try to make my first trip to the fabled "Dixons" that week.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I used birchwood casey super blue on my muzzleloader. It looks pretty good. Not as good as a factory job, but it works.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tried that a few times when I had less "patience" and results were not very good. Now, I attribute that to my lack of patience after seeing Retiredusn8's work.

I'm looking for a product sems a bit more controllable. The Laurel Mt Forge product looks like it may be the ticket for me.

Benn calling and leaving messages for "The best bluing guy" in my area for a week. I give up. I'll try'er myself.

·
Registered
767 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
I used birchwood casey super blue on my muzzleloader. It looks pretty good. Not as good as a factory job, but it works.
I used that stuff when I was 14 on my 8mm . I will tell you it still looks like the day I did it and I am 39 . No it does not look like factory but it is good . That is my 2 seance hope it helps . Good prep makes the differents .

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Nice looking job

Can you tell me how you did this? I would like to try it.

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
That is awsome!! That is kinda like the look I am getting on my TVM EV rifle. I love the aged loook, never really cared for browning.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts