The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to this site and am currently a junior at PSU Altoona. When I get out I will be in the market for some blueticks on cats. I was wondering what bloodlines some of you PA guys use on your cats
Evan

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Wayne Valentino said:
There is a guy in I believe Clearfield Co. Coble is his last name. He cat hunts his Blueticks.. First name is Jim I think. Only met him once.
Yea that's him...........I think his dogs have a lot of Vaughn in them.......

Cameron Blueticks are good on cats, and any big game......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I am leaning towards the Smokey River bloodline.. DO you know how I could contact this guy?
Thanks, Evan

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
if your wanting to run cats i would lean alot more towards a dog or blood line that can get it done as far as handling a track than i would worry about what color they are..........

·
Registered
287 Posts
Evan A friend of mine who lives in Montana has some really nice Blueticks that has a lot of smokey river in them. They run mainly mountain lions with them. Most years they tree 20 plus cats with them. He is originaly from Rossiter PA. PM me if you wish his number.

Bobcats advise though in my opinion is spot on. Spend some time and talk with guys that hunt just bobcats. It takes a special type of hound to tree them consistantly. Not as special of hound if your happy shooting them on the circle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not color blind to any good dog.. I was under the impression that smokey river was a good bloodline for hunting cats

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i'm no expert on any breed and i didnt mean there are not good blue dogs out there because there are. And smokey river is a good "name". So is JET , VAUGHN, CAMERON......ect.
I just meant I would look for some that are just hunted on cats. I would stay away from most night hunt style hounds. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not trying to start an argument with you bobcat.. But aren't smokey river dogs mostly used on cats? Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Evan Buck said:
I'm not trying to start an argument with you bobcat.. But aren't smokey river dogs mostly used on cats? Thanks for all the replies!
A lot of coonhounds have Smokey River in them, it is just the kennel names, all breeding have somewhat specific traits to their lineage.........I would find someone with Cameron bred hounds that runs them on cats.......Del Cameron bred those dogs to be big game hounds, and not necessarily coonhounds, but some people do run them on coon.....there are also dogs in any of the other popular BT lineages that will run cats just as good as the next one though, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Your friend most likely knows Del Cameron that runs a lot of large cats using his Cameron bluetics. He has had this line for many years. Advertises in Full Cry Magazine.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Just because a certain line of dogs are proven mt lion hounds doesn't mean they'll make good bobcat dogs. I know for a fact just about any decent hound will run a mt lion.....but not the other way around. Why do you think there are so many outfitters that run lions for extra money in the winter. They could get a few decent hounds anywhere out there. Check out some other web sites asking for a good bobcat dog....don't be surprised when you get zero offers because most guys aren't selling them if there any good.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Penndraght said:
Bobcats advise though in my opinion is spot on. Spend some time and talk with guys that hunt just bobcats. It takes a special type of hound to tree them consistantly. Not as special of hound if your happy shooting them on the circle.
I think you got it backwards.....It takes a great hound to keep a cat running circles to the gun. My garmin looks like a bowl of spaghetti
on most cat chases. When we tree most times the chase wasn't that hard for the hounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Liking all the info.. Keep it coming I'm not afraid to listen to others opinions that's why I asked this question

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
baldy said:
Just because a certain line of dogs are proven mt lion hounds doesn't mean they'll make good bobcat dogs. I know for a fact just about any decent hound will run a mt lion.....but not the other way around. Why do you think there are so many outfitters that run lions for extra money in the winter. They could get a few decent hounds anywhere out there. Check out some other web sites asking for a good bobcat dog....don't be surprised when you get zero offers because most guys aren't selling them if there any good.
No it doesn't, but I do know some guys who run cats with Cameron dogs that were bred to hunt bear/lion, and they run bobcats well....

I also know guys who hunt cats with Smokey River, Hammer, and Vaughn BT's......

You are more likely to find a good cat hound out of a breeding that was made for running cats, vs. straight up coon breedings....IMO anyways

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most guys around here run cross bred cat hounds, they want extra cold nosed hounds so it takes a special hound to be able to drive a real cold track, like stated before almost impossible to buy a real good one, my guess would be a real good one would be in the five thousand price range.My hounds have treed them and some had to be broke off them, they are not cat dogs and I consider cats trash,same as bear, There are guys that love it, I have killed two and they were both on purpose with my hounds. I'm just not crazy about hunting them,most important part is knowing where they live. I run my hounds a lot and know where they are at and that makes it a lot easier,they are a animal of habit and will usually circle or follow the terrian at very close to the same spot each time you run them, that has been my experience here in the mountains of Mifflin and Snyder county.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
baldy said:
good luck.....but it's not as easy as just buying a dog and hunting cats no matter what color the dog is
I don't think that any type of hound hunting is as easy as buying a dog and hunting any type of game

·
Registered
994 Posts
baldy said:
Penndraght said:
I think you got it backwards.....It takes a great hound to keep a cat running circles to the gun. My garmin looks like a bowl of spaghetti
on most cat chases. When we tree most times the chase wasn't that hard for the hounds.
I believe it does take a good dog to keep the circles going on a cat but a great one will put an end to it. A good beagle can circle a cat all day.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I hunt them with basset hounds and they also tree them consistently.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is with chasing these PA lions to the gun.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts