The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to do this in Michigan at dads cabin. Never really knew how to fly fish but just winged it. We did okay for using a broken pole.

Anyway looking to do this again mostly on a kayak. Any one got any tips or pointers. Need a pole too. Looking for something pretty cheap but useable. Thanks for any and all advice.

We used to fish Lilly pads and it was a lot of fun.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Buy the cheapest combo Cabela's or Bass Pro sells, or look on Craiglist locally. 5 weight is versatile in case you occasionally have a bass take your popper, which will happen. You can also go smaller, like a 3 wt or so, but the 5 will be a better all around choice.

Bluegills will take just about any fly. I much prefer small poppers on the surface, usually white.

As for leaders, fancy (and expensive) trout leaders aren't required for pond bluegills in my experience. Sure, a nice tapered leader will lay out better, but I have used a simple 6 foot piece of mono, and it has worked just fine. I prefer a tapered leader but can definitely fish with a simple piece of mono.

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
Love em on a fly...I use a 5 wgt as Larry suggested... They defend their nests with vigor ..

The only thing I would suggest is a sinking line for a pond but you can get away with floating line as well... I use tippet as it's a lot cheaper than leader replacement..

I use wooly buggers and muddler minnow... bass perch and crappie will show an interest as well

I bought a cheap Cabelas combo and it lasted two days... lifting up weed the pole shattered second day I had it...

Cabelas made good... I kept the reel and used the credit on a better rod...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I also agree with the 5 wt. I sent you a pm.

Look at the redington cross water out fit. Great set up under 150.00. This rod set up will work great for trout as well. I know you are not saying you will fish for trout but just a warning, fly fishing is addictive, i started with trout and now am looking at bass, carp, and pike.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Looking for something pretty cheap but useable. Thanks for any and all advice.
Tater, any of the Cabela's rod and reel outfits will do the job for what you want and are pretty inexpensive. My first fly rod setup was a Cahill combo and I caught everything from natives and bluegills, to twenty inch trout on it with no problems. It comes with backing, line, and a leader so you're pretty well set except for a tippet.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/F...%3Bcat105571980

One of the Cortland outfits at wally world would also do the job just fine for you if you have nothing against shopping at walmart. lol

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
"Bluegills will take just about any fly. I much prefer small poppers on the surface, usually white."

Like Larry, I like to use poppers. I like the fluor green. Ants are another favorite.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I nail them on small poppers. I also use filament instead of leaders. 5wt or 6wt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts