The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My buddy thinks its the salts they use in the bluing process. There is a product another buddy uses called eezox that he swears works. I never tried it. The VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) stuff does work really well though. Helps a lot anyway.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mattte finish is sold to us as contemporary, modern, "glare reducing," Gloss blue is sold to corporate as "here is how we can cut cost of that labor intensive, unhealthy, chemical using, expensive blueing process." That's my take on things.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have the same problem with the modern remingtons matte finish rusting. i have a 20 gauge 870 express that will rust if you touch it. i soak it in remoil but it doesn't spread around like on a blue finish. that matte stuff is crap.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Another rem owner with rust issues...m870 and m700...i keep them separate from their.siblings so they dont spread the disease! Lol.

Pros/cons..gloss blue looks better,...matte finish imo takes use better..doesnt scratch easily....and although mine rust, you really dont notice it...the finish is almost porous...

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
bownut said:
My buddy thinks its the salts they use in the bluing process. There is a product another buddy uses called eezox that he swears works. I never tried it. The VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) stuff does work really well though. Helps a lot anyway.
I don't know but a gunsmith told me the reason you don't see the high quality bluing that you once did is because the EPA banned one or two of the ingredients necessary to make the bluing that high quality.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Axis rifles rust just as bad as the Remingtons, I have an 870 with the matte finish and the Axis, I try to check on both guns weekly if at all possible.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I own 3 Rem firearms with the matte finish and they rust quicker than anything I have ever owned. No word of a lie, I watched my Rem 20ga literally grow a coat of light surface rust before my eyes while turkey hunting in a dense fog. A WD-40 pen that I keep in my turkey bag saved the day.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Forget this junky matte blue/matte junk. I wish they would just go back to wood stocks, regular blued barrels and open sights. Real american guns.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
They still make them they are just higher priced than synthetic with matte.How a gun looks is nice but how it performs is even better.I love a nice walnut stock myself but I do have 5 soon to be 6 synthetic stocked guns.Really bothered me when I bought the first one.That is untill I shot it.A matte finish IMO is an attractant for moisture.A regular blued or stainless is the way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts