The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blueberries are very abundant in the Pocono region this year. I pick 25 quarts in record time & I can’t remember any prior years as plentiful as right now.

I wash the berries 1st and then freeze in ZipLoc freezer bags. Anyone every skip the washing first?? Thxs for any advise.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,127 Posts
How far along are they at this point?? I usually take the fam up each year to pick but have struck out the past few years. I'd like to go do it. I usually pic along the R80 corridor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,867 Posts
Blue berries, black raspberries and blackberries....only problem is I get covered in ticks.....


It's really been a bumper crop this year.

Trout head up...just remember this weekend is RACE weekend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
PADingo said:
Blue berries, black raspberries and blackberries....only problem is I get covered in ticks.....


It's really been a bumper crop this year.

Trout head up...just remember this weekend is RACE weekend!
From you saying that, You have not been paying attention to the Famous Homemade Tick formula for if you had been, you would not be covered in Ticks when picking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,867 Posts
WWD, I had been using up what I had left of the permethrin...but It about 10 yrs old...I should use something else now...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trout 2003 said:
How far along are they at this point?? I usually take the fam up each year to pick but have struck out the past few years. I'd like to go do it. I usually pic along the R80 corridor.

Late frost the past two years hurt but there was none this spring. I'm done picking & it is a bumper year. Don't wait any longer. Promise Land state park is a great area & far enough away fron the racetrack.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,127 Posts
Race weekend shouldn't affect me shooting up R33 to R80. I pick around Hickory Run State park/Black Creek area. I'll go Saturday to avoid the race day issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
Freytown said:
Blueberries are very abundant in the Pocono region this year. I pick 25 quarts in record time & I can’t remember any prior years as plentiful as right now.

I wash the berries 1st and then freeze in ZipLoc freezer bags. Anyone every skip the washing first?? Thxs for any advise.

We pick out the bigger stuff, leaves, etc. Then pack and freeze without washing. They seem to hold up better. When you need them dump the frozen berries in a pot of cold water, and any twigs, leaves, and whatever separate easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
Race weekend shouldn't affect me shooting up R33 to R80. I pick around Hickory Run State park/Black Creek area. I'll go Saturday to avoid the race day issues.
you might not find too many blue berries on black creek this year
the fishing was slow last weekend
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,127 Posts
Dan Castle said:
Trout 2003 said:
Race weekend shouldn't affect me shooting up R33 to R80. I pick around Hickory Run State park/Black Creek area. I'll go Saturday to avoid the race day issues.
you might not find too many blue berries on black creek this year
the fishing was slow last weekend
Haha....been there done that!! The fishing is usally slow there so that is bad news for the berries haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
fishing there definitely requires some walking but I've pulled out some beautiful wild brookies. its an enjoyable hike none the less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,468 Posts
Yinzes guys are lucky. I don't think "wild" Blueberries exist too far south of I-80.

BTW... Raspberries have been long gone, and the Blackberries have been goe for about 10 days or so. The long stretches of 90+ heat did many in early.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,127 Posts
Dan Castle said:
fishing there definitely requires some walking but I've pulled out some beautiful wild brookies. its an enjoyable hike none the less.
Especially when the blue's are ripe. I dont go there much anymore. Been about 3-4 years now I would say because it was often times a very tough place to fish. I did catch my first ever wild tiger trout there though. More often then not however I would end up back the trail eating blue berries. The walk in would take about 20 minutes, the walk out.....2 hours!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
I have a lot of high brush blue berry bushes in my yard (33 of them) They were here when I built my house so I trimmed them out and let them be. (less grass for me to cut) I collected about 3 gallon bags worth two weeks ago and had to race the birds to get those.....not many left between the birds and the kids. Still have some that I might have to get tonight......(I'm off route 380 outiside Moscow)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,866 Posts
I know a good spot (REAL good) south of I80.

A friend of mine said when he was a kid they picked loads of wild blueberries in NJ.

If you Google "blueberries Georgia" a lot of stuff comes up. So, pretty far south.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top