The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you folks do it?
Give me the story.
Do's, don't , must see , must NOT see ..... whatever.
I'd love to hear

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Awesome motorcycle ride. It is a National Park. Speed limit is 45 and the Rangers have radar, behave. Abundant wildlife, breathtaking vistas, amazing hiking , plenty of waterfalls. Nature in a splendid form. Music and art venues, Museums. Mabrys Mill, Mt Airy, Nc. (AKA Mayberry).........Some of the highest points east of the Mississippi. Traffic slows after Labor Day. Then picks up for the leaf peepers. No Stop signs.

Going south ends in Cherokee, NC. Heart of the Smokey's. Coming north stay on it and run the Skyline (speed limit 35) to Front Royal, Va. There is a fee to run the Skyline Drive. If you include the Skyline I think it's 575 miles combined with the BRP. Only a few service areas but enough exits for Hotels and fuel. Plenty of camping opportunities.

If your in a hurry...don't bother. Relax and enjoy. As a motorcycle enthusiast I consider it a National Treasure, and one of the best rides in America.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome motorcycle ride. It is a National Park. Speed limit is 45 and the Rangers have radar, behave. Abundant wildlife, breathtaking vistas, amazing hiking , plenty of waterfalls. Nature in a splendid form. Music and art venues, Museums. Mabrys Mill, Mt Airy, Nc. (AKA Mayberry).........Some of the highest points east of the Mississippi. Traffic slows after Labor Day. Then picks up for the leaf peepers. No Stop signs.

Going south ends in Cherokee, NC. Heart of the Smokey's. Coming north stay on it and run the Skyline (speed limit 35) to Front Royal, Va. There is a fee to run the Skyline Drive. If you include the Skyline I think it's 575 miles combined with the BRP. Only a few service areas but enough exits for Hotels and fuel. Plenty of camping opportunities.

If your in a hurry...don't bother. Relax and enjoy. As a motorcycle enthusiast I consider it a National Treasure, and one of the best rides in America.

Hold on a second , tell me more about the Mayberry connection?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

So true take your time and take in the views and the small towns. Then add the Great Smokie Mountains and Cherokee area!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Coming back from Fl.last year the WIFE decided we go to Cherokee NC and take the back road "the only road" to Gatlinburg TN. through the Great Smoky Mountains. We pull in at the Welcome Center to get some coffee and advice. "Oh ya I'm tugging a 30 ft Travel trailer" Lady at the counter smiled, you need a bigger cup of coffee if your heading that way! We went East towards I-40 then the WIFE said turn here! Up we go and go and go. Next look out I pull over,I thought we were on the Tail of The Dragon. Lord behold a Ranger pulls in where you heading? I have no clue ask my WIFE. He advise us to turn around and go back towards I-40. Pretty country if your in a car! We did stay in a town call Maggie Valley that has a great museum with vintage motorcycles and rare cars. Cool town! With BEER!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I ride motorcycle and have a travel trailer but this trip is strictly bare bones with the pickup truck .... plan on hitting it another time with the motorbike. It seems like a hassle to take the camper , considering the lowest tunnel height.

·
Registered
233 Posts
we rented a cabin there in may nice it had a shower no stove or mic cooked over a camp fire it was great and if u want to get in some good driving try the tail of the dragon off the southern end

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we rented a cabin there in may nice it had a shower no stove or mic cooked over a camp fire it was great and if u want to get in some good driving try the tail of the dragon off the southern end

Yes , The tail of the Dragon I have planned to save for the 2nd trip with the motorcycle.
I understand there are 8 camp grounds along the Parkway .......... was the cabin you stayed at one of those or something different? I'll be looking for something other than a tent with the motorcycle and never considered they may have cabins.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Yes , The tail of the Dragon I have planned to save for the 2nd trip with the motorcycle.
I understand there are 8 camp grounds along the Parkway .......... was the cabin you stayed at one of those or something different? I'll be looking for something other than a tent with the motorcycle and never considered they may have cabins.
Should be all kinds of cabins to rent at most exits. Get the local visitors info for listings and search the internet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
we stayed in the park at lewis mt cabins there is cabins at big meadows also and i forget where else we have stayed over the years u can go to the parks website i think the cabins close dec 1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts